Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Anyone else not turn on your heat yet ?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 190 Replies

Where we live (east coast) the weather has fluctuated between warm and cool up until this past week. Now the fall weather has officially set in, we're getting highs in the 50's (lows at night in the 30's or 20's).

My son and I are sitting here in the kitchen w/ our space heater on, as he has his breakfast. We haven't turned our heat on yet for the season because we are trying to hold out as long as possible to evade our dreaded high gas bill. Our home is 2 stories, and poorly insulated. Even with it on a reasonable/low setting the bill goes sky high as soon as we flip the heat on for the season. It's come to the point where we need to chose between going grocery shopping and holding off on on certain bills. I want to get a job, but since my husbands job requires him to be on call, I'm not able to (we have 2 young kids & no childcare).

It's not unusual for us to be wearing sweatshirts, gloves and hats around the house. It caused me to wonder if any other families like us have not turned their heat on yet?  Also any tips on keeping your home warm? (other than the obvious window plastic and typical home remodeling/fix-up)

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM

We did last week when it got cold.  Brrrrrr.  Went from summer to winter overnight. 

ambertreas76
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Not here. 96 yesterday!!!
berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I have no real tips that you probably don't know of. We plastic all windows. Our house is old and drafty. We have a door that leads upstairs. That door is shut all day to keep downstairs heat downstairs. We wear slippers and bathrobes. After we use the oven, we leave it open to let the heat into the house.we are blanket ppl. Always have a blanket on when we are sitting
lapcounter
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Heavens yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I turned the heat on a few weeks ago.

northernmommy
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

we've had the heat on for a couple weeks now. i was hoping fall would hold on a little longer but right now it's 28* and snowing. we usually plastic all the windows for the winter and i do more baking and cooking in the oven in the winter cause it heats the house up really well. we have hardwood floors and they get really cold (i dropped a digital meat thermometer on the floor last winter and it read 37* brrrr) so i'm crocheting rag rugs to help for the whole house right now.

BL2010
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I'm up in NH and my heat has been coming on for the last month.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM
My heat has been on for the past week. I'm in Wisconsin.
2Sparrows4ever
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Nope and probably will not, we enjoy cooler temps
melissanoel
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Wow! Where do you live? I'm in Florida so we haven't turned the heat on yet, but it hasn't been that hot. LOL

Quoting ambertreas76:

Not here. 96 yesterday!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN