Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

would it be wrong of us to charge rent? UPDATE:

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 24 year old stepdaughter has been living in an apartment above our garage rent free for the last year. On Monday she brought her girlfriend over to meet us for the first time (we didn't even know she had a girlfriend, hell we didn't even know she was a lesbian). They have asked if they could move into the apartment together. I don't feel the girlfriend should get to live here for free. My husband doesn't think she should pay anything since she is his daughters girlfriend. If you were in this situation would you make her pay rent?

Edit: the reason my stepdaughter doesn't pay rent is because she baby sits for us 2 days a week and she helps around the house a lot. We thought it fair that she didn't pay rent in exchange for babysitting.

UPDATE: So we talked to both girls and they both agreed that they will pay $200 a month each. The $200 my SD is paying will be put in a savings account every month and when she moves out, she will receive half of it back. They also have to provide their own food except for breakfast which they will be eating with us. The rest of the time they will cook in their apartment. We are making both girls sign individual rental agreement. We have also made it clear that when they are in the house, their relationship is to be kept a little under wraps, no kissing or cuddling, they can do that in their apartment. I have also made it clear to my SD that the younger kids are no longer allowed to come up to her apartment without approval from us. Even though we are not teaching our kids homosexuality is wrong, they are still young and impressionable. I agreed to a one month trial period to make sure it all works out.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM
I would
LaughCryLive
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Why is she living rent free? Are they in college? I might make them pay something for increased utilities but the space was already used for free.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:33 AM
At 24 she should be on her own. I am usually not one to say charge rent. In this case, I hope she has been working a while and should have some money saved. Yes, she needs to pay along with the girlfriend. Draw up a lease and late fees if rent not paid. Originally when she moved in I would have said this place is rent free for a year or 18 months but after that rent is expected. My dd moved back home. She is 22, in school part time. Not charging her rent. She moved home 2 weeks ago. Pretty sure she is gonna want to be back on her own or moved in with another guy in a year or 18 months probably. Hope on her own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't allow my children to live w a partner under my roof outside of marriage. Beyond that, I would also be charging rent to an adult child unless he/she is in full time school. I think a friend would be asked to pay at least nominal rent, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Paigesmommy78
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Yes she should be paying rent
thefiregoddess
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Why wasn't she paying rent to begin with? charge them both.
ambertreas76
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM
At 24, they both should pay rent. I payed my parents monthly rent once I turned 19.
elephantmamaof2
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Depends on the situation. Are they both in school? Are they working? I would say it has to be all or nothing. Either charge both, or let both live there rent free. If they're both in school I'd be inclined to not charge, but I would tell them that if they're working they need to at least contribute to utilities and food. 

sunflower37
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yes she should pay you rent and your daughter too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Quoting LaughCryLive:

Why is she living rent free? Are they in college? I might make them pay something for increased utilities but the space was already used for free.
She is a huge help around the house, and she baby sits for us when we need a sitter, which is about 2 days a week so we thought it fair that she didn't pay rent. They both are in college and they both work part time jobs. My step daughter graduates next spring. This girl graduates in a year and a half. I was thinking like $200 a month is what we would charge her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)