Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

UConn Campus Police Blame Student for Her Own Sexual Assault?!

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 8 Replies

UConn Campus Police Blame Student for Her Own Sexual Assault (VIDEO)

by Emily Abbate

Kylie Angell University of ConnecticutAs a University of Connecticut alumnus, my heart dropped this morning when I read that seven current and former female students have filed a civil complaint against the university, saying that UConn failed to protect sexual assault victims and investigate their claims. Represented by Gloria Allred, the women filed a Title IX complaint in court Monday. All of their stories are, in short, horrifying. But the woman's story that strikes me the most? 2013 graduate Kylie Angell (who happens to be from my hometown as well).

Angell was raped; her assailant was expelled. However, just two weeks later, he sat next to her in a campus dining hall and grazed her arm. Frightened, she left immediately and went straight to the university police. There, an officer told her that "women need to stop spreading their legs like peanut butter, or rape is going to keep on happening until the cows come home."

Oh. Hell. No.

For the record: I don't consider myself a feminist. I just think there should be some sort of expectation in society that men and women alike deserve to be treated with equal respect. Also for the record, apparently administrators reviewed the class schedules of Angell and her attacker after he filed an appeal, and because they "wouldn't be in the same building at the same time," it was OK. Oh, and a last tidbit you should probably know -- Angell's assailant went on to rape another woman a year later.

University President Susan Herbst said today that she was stunned by the ladies' charges that the school is indifferent to assaults. The school has said that they're "confident at this point that these cases were handled thoroughly, swiftly, and appropriately."

CONFIDENT?! I mean, how could they not even take a second look before evaluating everything after hearing these women's claims? The stories?! It makes me disgusted. In my eyes the first thing that needs to happen is the chief of police needs to be let go. There needs to be a strict evaluation of how they handle things in the community standards office. It feels as though these issues at UConn, they've been masked for a very long time.

As a parent, I would never feel comfortable allowing my daughter to attend a college where they readmit rapists. As an alumnus, I wish it weren't my alma mater.

Watch Angell tell her story, here:

Are you as outraged by this horrifying incident as I am? Do you think the university made a mistake by letting the man back on campus?

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM

wth? that's absurd.

KayBeCareful
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this

It's a disgusting situation and UConn obviously doesn't value its female students.

However, a big mistake after the rape was that the victim apparently went to campus police instead of going to the real police who presumably would have investigated more appropriately and, depending on the circumstances, arrested the criminal.  Rape is a serious crime and should never be left for campus wannabe cops to deal with.  Campus cops shouldn't be trusted with anything more complicated than making sure the cars are parked between those little lines and keeping the noise level down to a dull roar. 

And the serial rapist's punishment was expulsion for two weeks?  That's an insane miscarriage of justice. However, a criminal who rapes twice (at least) will continue to rape and hopefully some day he will do the life sentence he deserves. I'm sure Big Bubba will enjoy some young fresh meat as his new roommate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Women being easy has nothing to do with rape. Apples and oranges. Yes, some women have random sex with guys they don't know or barely know. Nothing to do with rape.
BekahBrownEyes
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Victim blaming & slut shaming runs rampant everywhere. It's disgusting. After I was held captive, raped, and nearly strangled to death in 2010 I went to the D.A.'s office to file for an R.O., I was flat out denied because I didn't know his exact location (despite them asking for his DL # & SSN, which I had) & then I was told by the ADA "Well Mrs.___________WE didn't choose him for a boyfriend" . I was appalled, he blamed me and then tried to excuse it away by telling his boss I misunderstood his meaning. My reply to that was that it NEVER should have been said. My case was never prosecuted and that sick freak is still walking around free.
That SOB "chief of rent a cops" needs to have his head examined. He should also be fired and never allowed a badge again. I hope they win their case. Hopefully any girls raped (because it will keep on happening) will go straight to the police, the real police. Not some rent a cops hired to protect the school at any costs.
skitskidaddle
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM

These students need a class action attorney firm. and not necessarily from their own state. california class action attorneys took my former employer ; walmart, to court.

susan115
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

UConn is typical of any liberal campus.  Rape is horrible, no matter how it happens.  Both, sexes should be taught what damages are caused after the rape. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 25, 2013 at 6:20 AM

What a backwards & shameful country the US has become.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:35 AM

thats messed up!!!!

The College in our town is messed up too, when a girl is raped and talks to the cops, she always tells them she needs to talk to the school before she presses charges, which the school always convinces them to NOT press charges and to let it go.  They dont want the reputation at the school.  I know because DH is a cop in our town, we both work law enforcement and he tells me about it, doesn't tell me the names of the people but tells me the situations. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)