Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Were you spanked as a child? Do you spank your kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 114 Replies

I know it's a hot topic for some but I saw this article about how spanking can lead to mental problems like depression or addiction, physical problems like obesity or high blood pressure, language difficulties, cognitive and developmental issues, and, of course, the one most often cited, an increase in aggressive behavior.

Were you spanked as a child? Do you suffer any longterm effects from that? Do you spank your kids?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I was spanked as was DH..neither of us have any issues. We have spanked on occasion. We don't do so very often.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

beeuk
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep I sure was spanked, I dont have no issues. No I dont spank my child, shes not even 1 yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM
3 moms liked this

I wasn't spanked as a child, I was beaten, sometimes to the point of passing out. I have anxiety, PTSD, and depression. My husband was spanked, he has no mental issues. I do not spank my kids but my husband does. I have no problem with him spanking because he spanks in a calm manner, with his hand and it is only on the rear end. I had belts, whips, paddles, or whatever else my mother could find to hit her children with and it was all over the body, not just on the butt.

IMO hitting is done in anger spanking is done in a calm way.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I was never spanked. My parents did not spank any of us 8 kids.
We all grew up to spank our 27 kids.
None of them.....all adults ranging from 23-50 have the issues you've listed.
m0mmy0ftw02012
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I was spanked as a child... and yes i do believe in spanking my kids. I grow up with out any problems. But in order to get a spanking my kids would have to do someone really bad. 

melissanoel
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I was spanked as a kid. I don't think I suffered any long term effects from it. I never got beat or hit with any objects, just a spanking on the butt. I don't spank my daughter. I don't judge people that do, it's just not for us.

melissanoel
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I agree with you. You should never hit out of anger. I'm sorry that happened to you. I was spanked as a child like your husband spanks your children. I don't have any issues from it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I wasn't spanked as a child, I was beaten, sometimes to the point of passing out. I have anxiety, PTSD, and depression. My husband was spanked, he has no mental issues. I do not spank my kids but my husband does. I have no problem with him spanking because he spanks in a calm manner, with his hand and it is only on the rear end. I had belts, whips, paddles, or whatever else my mother could find to hit her children with and it was all over the body, not just on the butt.

IMO hitting is done in anger spanking is done in a calm way.

AndresGabriel
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Myself or my brother were never spanked and I don't spank my son. My family just do do the spanking thing. Never took it there and we all grew up fine. It would've been useless since we turned out fine anyway. I don't believe in spanking, that's just me.
othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Yes I was spanked, sometimes by hand, sometimes with a spoon or something. Mainly by my mom or grandma. I don't remember my dad ever spanking us. I don't have any long term effects by it, although there is one incident that does bug me.  I do spank my kids but not often and only with my hand. Usually the kids are told ahead of time that they need to stop a behavior or they will be spanked and they are given a chance to quit. My older two haven't been spanked in over 6 months. My 4 year old was last week because she was throwing a huge fit for 15 minutes crying and yelling because I shut her door and she didn't want to open it herself. I warned her after she was throwing a fit for a while that it would happen if it didn't stop, she didn't, so she got sanked one time on the bottom I told her to knock it off and I shut the door again. She came out a minute later calmed down.

mommersx4
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM

My sister and I were beaten as children. Kicked, punched whipped, you name it. My dad was a policeman, and I reported him. The nuns at school did nothing, even after I showed them welts on my body.  This was the sixties, and I guess it was alright then to almost kill your kids.

I don't spank my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)