Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

The Milkman's Baby

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 13 Replies

Just joking about the title, but sometimes I wonder how I ended up so opposite of the rest of my family (parents and siblings included). I'm talking everything, core personality, religion, political stance, general life interests (movies, t.v., etc) , parenting style, and the list goes on.

Even as a kid, before my actual personality and beliefs had really formed, I never was that close with any of my sisters/brother or my parents because I felt I did not fit in.(they have very rigid & unmovable beliefs and opinions about pretty much everything) .  My parents are the only ones that live in our local area, so I don't see my siblings except for on holidays(and sometimes not even holidays because they have far to travel to get here). My mom is the only one I do talk to on a daily basis, but even with her, I can't completely be myself because there are plenty of topics/beliefs I have that differ from hers that I need to stay away from if I don't want to spark an unpleasant debate.

I try to be as polite as I can during the times that I see my family in person, but I can't help but wonder if there are many others out there with my same situation? I've always envied some of my friends who have siblings who are closer to their age, and have similar personalities and a great friendship, one who you can go to and talk about whatever. Luckily I have some close girlfriends who feel just like sisters.

What about you guys, are you the odd one out in your family, never had close relationships w/ them?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kfdmrw9312
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

BUMP!

975Mom
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM
I have three brothers and one sister who I am not very close to. I also have a twin sister who I am very close to. My parents tend to be a little selfish so I am not very close to them. If I wasn't a twin, I'd be in a similar situation as you are. I do have the same religion as most of my family, but some of them seem hypocritical to me so I have to avoid pointing that out in order to keep the peace.
Saharra
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I talk to my mom every day, but I'm much the same as you. I don't fit in. I know they all care about me, but we are on a complete different spectrum on everything. So I keep quiet around them.
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Im the odd one but I still get along with them for the most part.  My family is really into things with engines.  They like racing bikes and cars, mechanics, etc.  Im more into gourmet cooking, fine wine and the theater.  They like hunting and being outdoors.  I dont even like patio seating when im out to dinner because it messes my hair up or my hair blows and sticks to my lipgloss. I also dont eat game meat.  I dont even like the taste of free range grass fed beef.  I want it in a barn eating corn!  

I stay home with my kids when they are small, my sister keeps her newborn in daycare 12 hours a day.  (does not need the money).  Im liberal, believe in gay marriage, social services, etc.  They are anti gay, anti immigrant and anti helping the poor. 

I do spend time with them and see them often.  I just stay out of the debates.  

Kfdmrw9312
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Same as me, I try to keep the peace by staying away from various topics that might brew a debate...it just won't end well. They have some very archaic (and slightly ignorant) opinions about things, because my parents are older and set in their ways. They are very conservative and are opposed to many things such as gay marriage or gay people in general, etc, because of the Bibles standpoint on it. I have the opposite opinion  of pretty much everything they think.  I try not to bring up or engage them in topics of conflict, otherwise I would end up really offending them and I don't want to do that.

Quoting Saharra:

I talk to my mom every day, but I'm much the same as you. I don't fit in. I know they all care about me, but we are on a complete different spectrum on everything. So I keep quiet around them.

precious54
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I'm close to my parents  but not my siblings

Kfdmrw9312
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM

BUMP!

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:16 AM

When I'm among my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) on my mom's side, absolutely.  I'm not in contact with my father's side at the moment, so Mom's side is all I have.  Our main issue is politics.  They are exceptionally vocal about their views and like to put down anyone who even slightly disagrees, including me.  We don't disagree on everything, but they are very vocal about what we do disagree on.  It got so bad in 2008 that I almost stopped going to family gatherings altogether.  Eventually, I did get them to realize how hurtful their comments were, and we agreed to not discuss political matters.  Every once in a while, something still comes up, and I just leave the room until their voices calm down.  Overall, though, our family gatherings have been much more civil in the past few years.

Kfdmrw9312
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:58 AM

BUMP!

pandybear1118
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:54 PM

i am absolutely the black sheep in the family. are you the middle child? bc sometimes i feel like thats the reason im always the odd man out. i try to get along or get in on the conversation but i feel pushed out. lol i wish there was a middle child support group haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)