Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What's the most annoying thing that's ever happened to you at the grocery store?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 10 Replies

5 of the Rudest Things People Do in Grocery Stores

by Rebecca Stokes

grocery woesGrocery stores
are enigmas. From the giant chains in all their splendor, to the tiny ones that seem to sell only a single head of lettuce and a half eaten loaf of bread. They are the greatest places on earth if you've got nothing but time and a desire to wander. Plus, they are full of food which makes them immediately awesome. But most of us don't have hours, minutes, or even seconds to spare. That plus jobs plus the million other moving parts that make up a day can turn grocery shopping from a pleasure into a total, maddening disaster.

God forbid you go in after right the school day or work day is over. You might have planned to only spend five minutes in the place, but when you emerge later the sun has set and you have aged a hundred years. Just like Rip Van Winkle before you. There is no amount of discounted breakfast cereal that will ease such an ache. 

Before I moved to New York I loved grocery stores. I also didn't have a real job, so spending hours delicately adding boutique items into my cart while drinking a cup of coffee was a very real occurrence. But now that I'm a grown-up and employed in the big city, I've got to prep myself with positivity mantras and lot of centering breaths before I enter the grocery store.

They are often crowded, everyone has their headphones in, some people seem to have never used a shopping cart before, and oh my god how many people are they buying all that deli meat for? I've compiled 5 of the most annoying things that happen at the grocery store. Check 'em out and then come back here and tell me all about what bugs you!

Fruit Squeezers

Sure, we all like to make sure we're buying good fruit. But what about those people who seem to have a vendetta out against every piece on the shelves? They scowl, they pout, and they squeeze the ever-loving hell out of each and every melon. To make matters worse, they then leave most of the battered produce behind, just as damaged emotionally as it is physically. 

Extreme Couponers

DAMN YOU TELEVISION, DAMN YOU TO HELL. Where once coupons were occasional, practical things we used to save dollars while shopping, now they are the provenance of extreme coupon hunters. These folks wipe out the shelves, use too many carts, and monopolize the registers treating the poor sixteen year old clerk like the not-charismatic host of an extremely monotonous game show. 

Sneaky Samplers

It's not quite stealing -- but it's not quite...NOT stealing either. These snackers nibble away on grapes, guzzle down drinks and nosh on whatever they come into contact with. Suuure there are the decent ones who hand over their half-empty bottles to be scanned and paid for. But I've never once seen someone say to a clerk, "excuse me I also ate roughly eighty grapes - you'll need to add those to my bill." I see you, sampler, and you are a monster. 

Headphone Wearers

Oh sure, you may have a grand old time bobbing your head along to the 'Pina Colada' song. But I've been standing behind you for forty minutes desperate to grab some Triscuits. Hate you. 

Clueless Cart Drivers

Dude, I know. The grocery store is very exciting. But how is it, exactly that you cannot fathom the way a grocery cart works? It is not for hitting other people out of the way, it is not for blocking off an entire aisle and it is DEFINITELY not for slowing down everyone else and you try to figure out if you can sleep and push your cart at the same time. 

What's the most annoying thing that's ever happened to you at the grocery store?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnaMess
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM

It seems like everytime I go to the store, I forget my list. I hate being in line with a couple people in front of me and they all want cigaretts but they all have to make the clerk make different trips over to the tobacco display. If you see the clerk going, please go ahead and say hey I want this. It's not that hard.

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM

There was a guy with a broken leg that needed something in the back of the shelf on the bottom shelf.  He asked me to do it.  I was 39 weeks pregnant and very clearly pregnant!  I said "im sorry I cant get down there either, would you like me to get someone?"  He got an attitude and scolded me out for not helping someone in need.  He was so over the top, and I visibly had my issues too so I thought it may have been a hidden camera situation! 

bakerytreatz16
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I had a little ask when the baby was due. I was two weeks postpartum, holding dd, and buying newborn diapers. I was pretty annoyed.

I had one lady yell at me for running into her kid. I didn't run into anybody. I was standing completely still looking at a shelf and a running child smacked into cart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM
In the 12 items or less and they have 25.

People paying with checks that take an hour to write it and get out their id. Elderly are notorious for this. I mean who writes checks now??
paige8608
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

When a gaggle of women stand in the middle of the aisle, BLOCKING IT, and not moving! I want to scream, "Move bitches!" but that would not be polite. 

Also, when cashiers ask me if my son is mixed. Like, why do you care? Just ring up my groceries!

famiglia_bella
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I got behind a couponer and only realized it after I had loaded up the belt with my things.  Holy cannoli did she have a ton of coupons and it took for.ever.  She ended up only paying like eight bucks for it all so I was a little impressed (even though it was all cans and boxed stuff).  

And another time, I was picking out nectarines and this lady comes over and starts waving her hands around, praying over me, and all I could make out was "jesus christ", "sexuality", "sensuality", and "son of god".  I later saw her praying over the bread.

famiglia_bella
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Ruuuuude.  I remember getting that question well into my 20s.  "Are you mixed?"  My most common answer would be, "Do we know each other like that?"  I get curiousity but damn.

Quoting paige8608:

When a gaggle of women stand in the middle of the aisle, BLOCKING IT, and not moving! I want to scream, "Move bitches!" but that would not be polite. 

Also, when cashiers ask me if my son is mixed. Like, why do you care? Just ring up my groceries!

LADYxGHOST
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:35 AM

The most annoying thing that happened when people let their kids run wild, a few times other people's children help themselves to my cart. I have had children sample grapes or other food items I had put in my cart, take toys out and walk off with them (and get pissed off when I ask for it back) These are not young children, these are late elementary age. 

1frog
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM

There were parents in the store with their 2 kids, the dad and one kid were playing ball, trying to hit each other, kid running wild in the process. Well, despite my glaring, and I have a pretty damn good glare, they continued.  Sure enough, kid slammed into me and my cart, kicking my sore ankle in the process. I yelled at him to watch what he was doing, there are other people around, and at the dad to control his kid. When they only calmed the play down, and didn't stop, I found a manager and complained, I still had tears in my eyes from that damn kick. I shop there all the time and I'll be damned if I put up with that sort of bull shit. Control your kids and yourself, damn it!

1frog
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Eating out of your cart? GROSS!!! I've had a kid try to take something out but caught him right away, and knowing Mom was actually close, said in a loud voice, "excuse me, those things in this cart are mine!" He left and went back to Mom and of course I got glared at, which was returned in kind, she was stared down.

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

The most annoying thing that happened when people let their kids run wild, a few times other people's children help themselves to my cart. I have had children sample grapes or other food items I had put in my cart, take toys out and walk off with them (and get pissed off when I ask for it back) These are not young children, these are late elementary age. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)