Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should Schools Ban Rainbow Looms So Poor Kids Don't Feel Bad??

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 31 Replies

Schools Ban Rainbow Looms So Poor Kids Don't Feel Bad

by Jeanne Sager

rainbow loomReady for the latest bit of insanity from kid-dom? Schools are banning the Rainbow Loom.

Now, I was sympathetic (and OK, a bit amused) when I read that teachers were up in arms because they were catching furtive first graders with their hands busy bracelet building during class time. A reason to kick the looms out of the classroom? Sure.

But then there's this little gem: apparently some kids are making fun of kids who don't have the looms, making this a battle of the haves vs. the have-nots. And that just blew my top.

Schools are banning Rainbow Looms because spoiled brats who have Rainbow Looms are lording it over kids who don't have them?

Of course, we blame that problem on the toy!

And then when the little butthead picks on a kid for not having the cool shoes, we ban the shoes, right? Because the problem is totally the shoes. Right?

Oh. Right.

The toy (and the shoes) isn't the problem. The mentality is!

Our schools are now teaching our kids that rather than deal with conflict, we'll just make it disappear. Which is all fine and dandy for the school, but what about these kids when they grow up?

So long as money does not grow on trees, every kid will not have everything they want. Which means kids on both sides of the fence need to learn to get over it.

Bullies need to be taught not to be bullies. Duh. But let's talk about the elephant in the room, shall we?

The bullies aren't the only ones who need a little talking to. So long as you're picking the mortgage over the latest thing-a-ma-bob all the kids are jawwing about (raising hand over here), you need to sit your kids down and talk about why you won't buy the it toy. You need to have a long talk about the dangers of always trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Sometimes other kids are going to have things that our kids want, and that sucks. But so long as other kids aren't acting like total jerks (see above: deal with the bullies!), our kids can't expect to never be disappointed. They can't expect to live in a world where everyone has everything or no one has anything.

It's not realistic.

My kid desperately wants a Rainbow Loom, and I haven't caved. Yet. I might, then again, I might not, and if it's the latter, she's going to have to learn to get over it. If I bought everything she wanted, I'd be sinking under a mountain of debt, and we wouldn't be able to afford the basics.

That said, I'm not about to run up to the school and demand they yank the looms out of every other kid's hands because I decided to pay my electric bill instead of buying rubber band thingies this month. Watching other kids loom is building character for my kid. We've even thought of a reading challenge to earn the loom -- making that "have not" situation a means to encourage her to work for the things she wants.

If kids aren't taught now that they aren't entitled to get everything in life, when are we going to teach them? When?

Is there something you can't afford right now that your kids want? What have you told them?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Just wow. I have nothing else to say about this that won't get me banned from cm.

we can afford it but ds is not getting a membership to club penguin. Maybe( big huge maybe) he'll get it for Christmasor his birthday which is less than a month after christmas but not just because "I want it, everyone else has it".
Paigesmommy78
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree about what u r saying they can't just take them bc other kids don't have them that's not fair to the kids that have and aren't teasing and kids need to learn u can't always have what others have and u can't always get what u want with that being said I wish I could use stupid rubber ban to come up with the next big thing and get rich first the sillybans now these things what's next
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM
5 moms liked this
This is ridiculous. Some kids will not have everything. Do not ban things because everyone can't buy something.

This is the stupid mentality where everyone wins a trophy. We are raising a generation of wimps.
Life is not fair. The sooner these kids realize it, the better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dalbax2
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM
So stupid.
pandybear1118
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM

wimpy participation award winners lol

Quoting Anonymous:

This is ridiculous. Some kids will not have everything. Do not ban things because everyone can't buy something.

This is the stupid mentality where everyone wins a trophy. We are raising a generation of wimps.
Life is not fair. The sooner these kids realize it, the better.

pandybear1118
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:30 PM

i don't understand kids these days if they are banning what is causing them to be upset over now  how are they going to grow up and write terrible rap songs about their struggles? LOL

do you know how many times i didn't have what was cool bc my parents couldn't afford it. get over it bc next month will be a new fad

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM

This is just too stupid. My kids have one, but they don't bring it to school. But incidentally, the bracelets rainbow bracelets have been banned from their entire third grade class (at our school) because they have served as a distraction to the kids. Ha! Anyway, my kids were making them at home for their friends who don't have a loom. I would like to hope that kids aren't teasing the have nots...that's just sad. :-(

lovemymini
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Really dumb. I can afford everything DS wants and needs, but he's not a show off. I also don't let him bring toys to school.

I don't get the banning something because everyone can't afford it. Life's not fair. If a parent is upset their kid can't have something then they should work harder and save up for it like the rest of us.
northernmommy
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
The looms don't belong in school and that alone would be a good reason to ban them alone especially if kids are playing with them during class. They shouldn't be there in the first place.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
It's getting colder and indoor recess would be a great time for the loom. Parents get bent out shape when their kids can't have the latest it toy too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN