Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

public school too much $$

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies
I didn't know that every week they would be hitting parents up for money for things. I feel awful that my dd can never be apart of anything because we literally never have money or anything extra. Yesterday I found a old costume with a few holes in it but nothing too big, and put that on her so we could walk to her school halloween event. Turns out they were charging for everything. I didn't even have $1 for u to enter so it was embarrassing to turn around. We have no money for the book fair, donations etc. I just wish all of the money needing would stop. I know that it can't and why public schools need all the help. My dd's school is fantastic,wish I could help more. We aren't on assistance and have two incomes, and have what we need. I just cant afford all the wants. Anyone,can you relate?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
som610
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I find the money for my daughter to do most if the stuff but I know how you feel for sure. I didn't know that every week they would be sending home notes saying she needs to bring money for such and such or she won't get to be involved.

They are doing skating in gym right now and had to pay $7 for it. I thought that was silly because there is plenty you can do that is physically active that doesn't cost.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd be rethinking things if both are working and you can't afford a dollar.
berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I know what you mean
Lukas
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM
yes they were going on a field trip bowling, so daughter needed 20.00. This week it's 10.00. I went to the same school and this did not happen. Books, t-shirts, they even want to spend on a child who committed suicide. And to go to a game, slice of pizza 2.75, sloppy joe3.25. pop 1.75. popcorn 1.00. Snicker 1.25. Because the senior class is going on a trip. I have taken food with. Ya know what I don't send the money and she goes anyways. Unless they get 20.00 week allowance I have 3 kids so 60 x 4 = 240 a month. No.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

i knew someone would be a smart ass. I actually am. our rent is wayyy more than 30% of our income so guess what we are currently saving to buy a home in Jan.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I wasn't being a smart ass. It's sad you can find a dollar for your kid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

i knew someone would be a smart ass. I actually am. our rent is wayyy more than 30% of our income so guess what we are currently saving to buy a home in Jan.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM
ok. and its sad that you can't understand things being tight for a few months so that our life will be affordable and great and have plenty of extras in just 3 months. goodbye.
Quoting Anonymous:

I wasn't being a smart ass. It's sad you can find a dollar for your kid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I was thinking of posting something very similar. Although, I do manage to find the money for most things, I just wish it would stop. Since week two of school we've been paying on stuff. (I have twins in 3rd grade btw) $5 each for agendas, $5 each for some media crap, $6 each on recorders for music class, the pta fees they make your kids beg you to join because the class with the most membership sign ups gets a pizza party. The book orders, the donations for the "Fun Run" we just had yesterday, the cost of  instrument rentals because the kids want to learn the violin, the cost of school pictures that are outrageous, the field trip fees we've had already, the fund raisers they've asked us to participate in, (which I absolutely hate) the school t-shirts......ugh. it's just so costly, exhaustive and we're only in the third month of school! I've spent quite a bit already.

This is my kids first year at this school as they transferred from another. We paid no where near this much at the other school for things. Granted, this is a better school in a much better school district but I just had no idea......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I would get a 2nd job for extras if it were me.
juno1
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

That has really changed here in California.  They (schools) are not allowed to charge...for anything.  Public school is considered free and 'equal' education.  The school can ask for a donation for certain things as in field trips etc., but no one is required to pay. So..now many parents won't donate to these events ( even thought hey can well afford it) because they feel that they don't have to ....

The end result is that many fiels trips are lost as are many sports programs.  Our high school used to have a two week period during the year where kids could choose to go on international trips (parents paid..thjey went with their peers and teachers chaperoned) or for free stay closer to home, camping, doing the museums around town and so on.   Because not EVERYONE could afford to go on the international trips they shut the whole thing down...  so now  everyone loses.  Because parents did not donate enough money ( $100 each player for the season) there is no basketball program...    In the past we provided scholarship for sports for the kids on free and reduced lunch.  Now they they don't  have the opportunity to play.  And....it is going to get worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN