Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Have to be 21 to buy cigarettes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
In NYC. Wonder if other cities and states will follow suit???
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it's bullshit. If people 18 and under want to smoke they will find ways, I used to. Asking adults to buy them for us, learning which places card and which don't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I think anything to get people to not smoke is good. Nasty habit that kills people.

Quoting poshkat:

I think it's bullshit. If people 18 and under want to smoke they will find ways, I used to. Asking adults to buy them for us, learning which places card and which don't.

poshkat
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Yes it is, but people will do what they do. People love breaking rules. If someone tells an 18 year old what not to do they will do everything in their power to do it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think anything to get people to not smoke is good. Nasty habit that kills people.

Quoting poshkat:I think it's bullshit. If people 18 and under want to smoke they will find ways, I used to. Asking adults to buy them for us, learning which places card and which don't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
But if a few don't smoke because of the law, better than nothing. Look at how many don't or have quit because they cost so much and because they don't wanna die?? MIL quit because of the cost and high taxes on cigarettes. So happy for her. Not starting is key though.

Quoting poshkat:

Yes it is, but people will do what they do. People love breaking rules. If someone tells an 18 year old what not to do they will do everything in their power to do it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting poshkat:I think it's bullshit. If people 18 and under want to smoke they will find ways, I used to. Asking adults to buy them for us, learning which places card and which don't.

ambertreas76
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I smoked for 15 years on and off(almost 5 months quit now) and I wish that I wouldn't have been allowed to buy them at 18.  Maybe I would never have taken up the nasty habit.    

poshkat
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I see no difference, anything can kill you, ANYTHING. I just find it stupid they make such a big d3al out of it, if they would leave it alone it wouldn't be this "evil" thing. They tried to ban alcohol, that turned out sooooooo well.

Quoting Anonymous:

But if a few don't smoke because of the law, better than nothing. Look at how many don't or have quit because they cost so much and because they don't wanna die?? MIL quit because of the cost and high taxes on cigarettes. So happy for her. Not starting is key though.

Quoting poshkat:

Quoting Anonymous:I think anything to get people to not smoke is good. Nasty habit that kills people.

Karla1948
by VS120 Lady on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Over 90% of all smokers have already started by the age of 18. What difference will this make? We don't need any more unenforcable laws!

nelliesmommy
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM
People will do what they want. They should make important laws like making sure perverts stay behind bars.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Why not go back where 10 and 12 yo can buy them then? If everything kills, why not? SMH.

Quoting poshkat:

I see no difference, anything can kill you, ANYTHING. I just find it stupid they make such a big d3al out of it, if they would leave it alone it wouldn't be this "evil" thing. They tried to ban alcohol, that turned out sooooooo well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting poshkat:

Quoting Anonymous:I think anything to get people to not smoke is good. Nasty habit that kills people.

MeAndTommyLee
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I think its ridiculous. An 18 year old is legally responsible for himself, his actions etc
Complete overreach of power and people have become to complacent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)