Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Can't they take a hint? I believe in God, but GO AWAY!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

I believe in God, I truly do, but I do not want a Jehovah's Witness banging down my door all the time to talk to me about Him. I don't want a copy of The Watchtower, I don't want to read a passage from The Bible, I don't want to discuss the wicked ways of the world and how God can heal all... I want to clean my house, read a book, talk on the phone, and worship in my own time without your pushy intrusion.

Can't they take a hint? Do you have pushy JW's coming by your house every month, too??

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
outtabodymommy
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I used to have them come over every few weeks, until they came over when my DH was home.  DH said he would LOVE to talk about God with them, and then he offered them a beer.  They politely declined and they never came over again.  The beer trick also worked for the Mormon missionaries--they asked if they could do any work for us, and my DH said they sure could--he needed to mow the lawn and trim the weeds, but first he needed to grab a beer.  End of the Mormon missionaries as well.  

waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Nope, that is one of the advantages of living way out in the middle of nowhere. They would get lost if they came out our way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I thought I lived out too far, but I guess it's not far enough.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

Nope, that is one of the advantages of living way out in the middle of nowhere. They would get lost if they came out our way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Hmm, maybe I should try that, lol.

Quoting outtabodymommy:

I used to have them come over every few weeks, until they came over when my DH was home.  DH said he would LOVE to talk about God with them, and then he offered them a beer.  They politely declined and they never came over again.  The beer trick also worked for the Mormon missionaries--they asked if they could do any work for us, and my DH said they sure could--he needed to mow the lawn and trim the weeds, but first he needed to grab a beer.  End of the Mormon missionaries as well.  

IamMex11
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM
This again?? UGH!!
Maxi_Maxi
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM
There is an adorable girl that comes over once a month and talks to me, very quickly. I assume she's training or something because she always has an adult with her. It doesn't bother me at all because I love helping her out. I do wonder just how long it's going to be before she pushes coming to a service or something. We are Methodist and happy where we are.
waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Just to get to my house you need to go on 6 different roads. We rarely have cars on our road other then the 3 houses that have people in it. We can go  a good week without even seeing our neighbors.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought I lived out too far, but I guess it's not far enough.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

gr8d8n3mom
by Gr8d8n3mom on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Where I used to live yes all the time. They created a real hassle for my dogs, b/c like you said, when you say no thank you they continue to carry on. My dogs take my tension and continue to bark. 

One time I had a lady stay at my porch, I thanked her and said have a good day , no thank you. I shut the door and walked away. (We had 2 small windowns on each side of the door, no windows in the door) They dogs continued to bark and I looked out and she was still standing there. I opened the door and asked her to please leave, I'm not interested. (shut the door) The dogs were still barking, (this is over about a 15 minute time span) I went back to the front door she was still there, I got angry told her she was trespassing and to leave now, or I would let my dogs out.

Then about 2 mins later I walk out my side door and she and 2 other ladies are sitting IN MY DRIVE WAY! I walked out to her car, knocked on her window, and told her, I asked her to leave, she is more than clearly trespassing, I will call the police, I was trying to be polite, asking her to leave at the door, I"m not being nice any longer, NOW, I am a wiccan. I don't want her or anyone associated with her church or anyother church, or list or whatever she has on my property any more, so take notes. 

IF she wants to read about my religion, I would be happy to read about hers. With that she started her car and left.(since this, we have moved, and only been here almost 3 months, don't know if they come around here)

After that I came up with this letter and put it on the Door:

Blessed Be,

No Solicitation Please.

This INCLUDES: ALL Religious,Sales/Marketing

& Service type materials. Also Political & School

material of any kind.

Also Don't leave your paper work on my porch!

Merry Meet & Merry Part

YES we DO have a 110 pound 

36in@ the shoulder dog, she

may jump through the window.

NO TRESPASSING!

Didn't have any problems after that.

JTE11
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

The JWs we have aren't pushy at all. I just tell them thank you but I am not interested, and that my relatives are JWs and I have access to the Watchtower any time I like, and they thank me for my time and leave. Maybe it's good to have some folks on the inside, lol, I don't know. 

yanamom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Just have some pamphlet or other material on your church available. When they ask to share, tell them only if you can share your's with them and you get to go first. They usually leave rather quickly and don't come back when you do that... This works really well if you have Wiccan or Catholic pamphlets to show them...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)