Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

At what age....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
So I know Halloween just passed.
But at what age do you let your kids go trick or treating by themselves with friends with no supervision?

I don't want to be a hover parent, but I also love my children and know there are awful people in this world. I have a ds 9 and dd 10, dd is away at science camp so all alone ds for Halloween. The neighbor kids were gone and his friends had plans. So we called the cousins a 9 and 12 year old, And mom said they were going out trick or treating with friends and ds was welcome to join. We passed and dh took him out in our neighborhood , while I stAyed home with dd 1 week.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM
My oldest was 6th grade and her sister 3rd. They went out together then.
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Around age 10/11 they went as a group. My neighbors all pretty much know each other and our kids.

pm4k
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM

My kids went through the neighborhood at 10-11 years old. When they were 12-13 I let them go with friends but they had to call every 30 minutes. Last night my kids (now 13-14) went out with their older cousins and went a few blocks away. After 45 minutes they came home and we took them to a different neighborhood.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM

We live in a pretty safe place but there is no way I would let my children go trick or treating by themselves until they are at least 13-16 years old, it all depends on which child it is. We don't go trick or treating though, this was the first year that my kids have been trick or treating. . They are 11 years old and under.

lovemyfour79
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I would never allow my eleven year old girls to go out trick or treating alone. They would have to be with a group of kids, that were at least a few years older then them. Call me paranoid.But I will be one paranoid mom, knowing my kids are safe. There are weirdos out there, and especially on Halloween night.

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My friend & I go with our kids every year-they are 14 & 17 just to keep them safe.I know it seems they are too old but we go to my friend's childhood neighborhood & she knows everyone there so it's fun meeting everyone. Also if it's a little over curfew time the kids have us there to keep the cops from getting too upset with them for being out on the street.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

DH or I will go out with them until late teens, unless they go in a group that is chaperoned by an adult I trust and know well.  Where we live is in the Mid-Atlantic with Route 1 right next to us and I-95 less than a mile away.  God forbid any thing would  happen, but if it did, they could be in another state before we even knew they were missing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)