Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

offensive?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have seen a lot lately about how religion or anything that mentions Jesus or God as "offensive". 

Why is it ok for others to be offended with other subject matter?

for example - note these are EXAMPLES do not take personally:

I am offended by the fact the schools think it is ok to give my 12 year old a condom when I am trying to teach her abstinence.

I am offended by the use of drugs and legalizing it. 

I am offended by swearing.

Why are these examples (there are more) ok with society but something that teaches morals and being good to each other offensive? 

Just a question of curiosity and not meant to offend anyone - because you know you can't speak your mind about anything without offending someone. 

EDIT - based on converstations I think my post is worded wrong.  My questions is general society.  They ban religion but ok gay marriage, etc.  Why is it ok to tolerate drug use (pot is legal in my state), or tolerate homozexual behavior, but they won't tolerate if my dd wants to pray to God on her own out loud in school? 

I don't know if i am wording this post correctly to go in the direction I am looking for it to go in or to get an understanding of our society.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
BL2010
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally think people need to get a life and stop being offended by things. This is the United States and I celebrate Christmas and say Merry Christmas to people. Why do I have to conform to everyone else's religion but they don't have to conform to mine?

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You seem to get "offended" at some crazy shit. 

I'm "offended" by religious bigots that don't believe that homosexuals deserve the same rights as other couples. 

I'm also "offended" when said bigots don't realize that there is no 'Z' in homosexual. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I am so glad that you can read.  If you read my post it says EXAMPLE.  That means these are not my views.  :)

FYI  I am not offended by homosexuals at all.  I am not, but I could care less what others do. 

Why are you offended by religion?  If you don't like it - just like everything else in the world - don't look or llisten. :) That's what i do if I see something that offends me.  I am just trying to understand the direction our society is going in.  :)

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I'm "offended" by religious bigots that don't believe that homosexuals deserve the same rights as other couples. 

I'm also "offended" when said bigots don't realize that there is no 'Z' in homosexual. 

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not offended by religion. I simply don't give a fuck what people do or believe in. I AM offended by religious zealots that constantly try to push their religion down people's throat.  But its not offense as much as its just me being annoyed.

And I don't care if they were examples. Those are still things I am offended by. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I am so glad that you can read.  If you read my post it says EXAMPLE.  That means these are not my views.  :)

FYI  I am not offended by homosexuals at all.  I am not, but I could care less what others do. 

Why are you offended by religion?  If you don't like it - just like everything else in the world - don't look or llisten. :) That's what i do if I see something that offends me.  I am just trying to understand the direction our society is going in.  :)

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Then you understand that EXAMPLE are not my views?  Then why did you comment that I am "oiffended by some crazy shit"?  I am not. 

Can you give an insight why the world is so this is offensive and can't do this stuff?  That is what I am trying to get to. :) 

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I am not offended by religion. I simply don't give a fuck what people do or believe in. I AM offended by religious zealots that constantly try to push their religion down people's throat.  But its not offense as much as its just me being annoyed.

And I don't care if they were examples. Those are still things I am offended by. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

famiglia_bella
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

It's a lot of generalization, in my opinion.  I don't know where they are banning religion.  I get what you are saying about praying in school, but school is for school and if they gave time for every person of different religions to pray, out loud, there wouldn't be any time left for learning.  Jesus said pray in secret anyway.  And I have to agree with the mom that said one doesn't need religion to have morals or to be good.  Kind David had no morals and so much of the bible references him.  And I don't say that to offend, just to challenge the perception.  As for handing out condoms, I got nothing.  That's the idiot factor; your kid may not need them, but some kid does, so everyone gets it.  Did she have to take it?  Surely they don't MAKE her take it... or do they?   And why is it OK to ban gay marriage?  What makes that right?  Wouldn't that be forcing someone's belief on a large part of society, which is what you are complaining about in the first place??  Marriage equality is about equality.  Just like you want your views respected and considered, other people would like to celebrate their love in the governmentally institutionalized way that is recognized and respected and offered to a straight couple.

Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree, I found all your examples stuff that would be offending. I don't know why religion is one of the biggest of others being offended I'm offended that freedom of religion isnt what it is because saying "merry Christmas" offends someone but happy holidays offend us Christians. Say what you want no matter who it offends when clearly others don't care who they are offending.
AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Examples typically mean that they are portions from your life that you use to make people understand your views. What you are using are called hypotheticals

Also if you want people to know that they are not your views then you have to say it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Then you understand that EXAMPLE are not my views?  Then why did you comment that I am "oiffended by some crazy shit"?  I am not. 

Can you give an insight why the world is so this is offensive and can't do this stuff?  That is what I am trying to get to. :) 

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You are the second person to read my post wrong.

THESE ARE NOT MY VIEWS - these are examples.    I am trying to answer a question I have in my mind about society and it's direction.   I think that if anyone is offended by something it should not be banned, but that specific person should just look away, not listen, avoid the situation. 

Religion - yes I agree with you they don't take time to pray together in class, but if someone wants to pray over their lunch out loud - that is their business. again don't listen if you dont want to hear a prayer. 

I don't have a 12 year old, but I do knwo they hand out condoms like its ok to have sex.  I am offended by that as my daughters - when they are that age - will not be attending school - again I am offended I avoid, don't look, don't listen. 

I personally am not offended by homosexuals.  I am not a homosexual and don't care what someone else does - I am kinda like whatever - again dont look or listen about as much as I wouldn't look at a heterosexual couple kissing in the park :)

So please tell me, why is it when I say these are examples several times in my post you feel these are my views? 

Quoting famiglia_bella:

It's a lot of generalization, in my opinion.  I don't know where they are banning religion.  I get what you are saying about praying in school, but school is for school and if they gave time for every person of different religions to pray, out loud, there wouldn't be any time left for learning.  Jesus said pray in secret anyway.  And I have to agree with the mom that said one doesn't need religion to have morals or to be good.  Kind David had no morals and so much of the bible references him.  And I don't say that to offend, just to challenge the perception.  As for handing out condoms, I got nothing.  That's the idiot factor; your kid may not need them, but some kid does, so everyone gets it.  Did she have to take it?  Surely they don't MAKE her take it... or do they?   And why is it OK to ban gay marriage?  What makes that right?  Wouldn't that be forcing someone's belief on a large part of society, which is what you are complaining about in the first place??  Marriage equality is about equality.  Just like you want your views respected and considered, other people would like to celebrate their love in the governmentally institutionalized way that is recognized and respected and offered to a straight couple.

famiglia_bella
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Because example doesn't neccessarily mean it didn't happen to you, you never clarified that these were imaginary circumstances.  You typed that your daughter received a condom, not "What if [...].  

So what you are trying to do is ask why these things happen, that didn't really happen, but it's okay for other things that you perceive to be somehow in contrast to these things that didn't happen, to happen.  ???  

Don't get offended (lol) because you weren't very clear in the first place.  I don't know you don't have a 12yo daughter.  You didn't say prayer over lunch, you said "out loud".  I went to public school, and I know kids who are in groups that absolutely pray out loud, at school on their own time (before class, lunch time...).  

"So please tell me, why is it when I say these are examples several times in my post you feel these are my views? "

You should have said they were made up scenarios.  Then I'd have skipped it.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are the second person to read my post wrong.

THESE ARE NOT MY VIEWS - these are examples.    I am trying to answer a question I have in my mind about society and it's direction.   I think that if anyone is offended by something it should not be banned, but that specific person should just look away, not listen, avoid the situation. 

Religion - yes I agree with you they don't take time to pray together in class, but if someone wants to pray over their lunch out loud - that is their business. again don't listen if you dont want to hear a prayer. 

I don't have a 12 year old, but I do knwo they hand out condoms like its ok to have sex.  I am offended by that as my daughters - when they are that age - will not be attending school - again I am offended I avoid, don't look, don't listen. 

I personally am not offended by homosexuals.  I am not a homosexual and don't care what someone else does - I am kinda like whatever - again dont look or listen about as much as I wouldn't look at a heterosexual couple kissing in the park :)

So please tell me, why is it when I say these are examples several times in my post you feel these are my views? 

Quoting famiglia_bella:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN