Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

offensive?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have seen a lot lately about how religion or anything that mentions Jesus or God as "offensive". 

Why is it ok for others to be offended with other subject matter?

for example - note these are EXAMPLES do not take personally:

I am offended by the fact the schools think it is ok to give my 12 year old a condom when I am trying to teach her abstinence.

I am offended by the use of drugs and legalizing it. 

I am offended by swearing.

Why are these examples (there are more) ok with society but something that teaches morals and being good to each other offensive? 

Just a question of curiosity and not meant to offend anyone - because you know you can't speak your mind about anything without offending someone. 

EDIT - based on converstations I think my post is worded wrong.  My questions is general society.  They ban religion but ok gay marriage, etc.  Why is it ok to tolerate drug use (pot is legal in my state), or tolerate homozexual behavior, but they won't tolerate if my dd wants to pray to God on her own out loud in school? 

I don't know if i am wording this post correctly to go in the direction I am looking for it to go in or to get an understanding of our society.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Replies (21-26):
Stephd710
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think people in general are too sensitive and too fast to claim prejudice or hatred or whatever.  Personally, I do and think what i want.  A lot of people dont think the way i do and say it wrong but i dont get offended, it doesnt change my mind and they are free to think its wrong just as i am free to think its right.  

In my hometown just last week a teen was suspended for refusing to remove a tshirt with bible versus against gays on it.  The back of his shirt said "Being gay just aint right".  He was asked to change and refused so he was suspended.  He and his friends argued that the homosexual club in the school was allowed to wear gay pride shirts.  My view on this.....PRIDE is different than telling someone they are wrong.  There is a huge difference between pride and hate.  Some people are saying his religious rights are being infringed upon.  I can see that side of it as well.  They are thinking of switching to uniforms to prevent all the controversy.  It will be interesting to see how this pans out. 

famiglia_bella
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I was a baited question, fictitious examples or not.  The examples she used to contrast were argumentative... right and good were equated with religion and then it seemed she put homosexual marriage on the other side of that.  It's no wonder you were offended.  It was offensive, intentionally or not.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I am not offended by religion. I simply don't give a fuck what people do or believe in. I AM offended by religious zealots that constantly try to push their religion down people's throat.  But its not offense as much as its just me being annoyed.

And I don't care if they were examples. Those are still things I am offended by. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I am so glad that you can read.  If you read my post it says EXAMPLE.  That means these are not my views.  :)

FYI  I am not offended by homosexuals at all.  I am not, but I could care less what others do. 

Why are you offended by religion?  If you don't like it - just like everything else in the world - don't look or llisten. :) That's what i do if I see something that offends me.  I am just trying to understand the direction our society is going in.  :)

Quoting AliKatAK47:

You seem to get "offended" at some crazy shit. 

I'm "offended" by religious bigots that don't believe that homosexuals deserve the same rights as other couples. 

I'm also "offended" when said bigots don't realize that there is no 'Z' in homosexual. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM

If I'm understanding correctly, my comment would be that I personally do not get offended by religion and others beliefs, and have no problem with my child being exposed to religious beliefs. I believe education of all kinds is valuable education.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Sorry to have offended anyone :(  I was just trying to figure things out.  I think I also stated in my post that I didn't know if I was wordig things correctly or not.  Not my strongest area. 

Quoting famiglia_bella:

I was a baited question, fictitious examples or not.  The examples she used to contrast were argumentative... right and good were equated with religion and then it seemed she put homosexual marriage on the other side of that.  It's no wonder you were offended.  It was offensive, intentionally or not.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I am not offended by religion. I simply don't give a fuck what people do or believe in. I AM offended by religious zealots that constantly try to push their religion down people's throat.  But its not offense as much as its just me being annoyed.

And I don't care if they were examples. Those are still things I am offended by. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I am so glad that you can read.  If you read my post it says EXAMPLE.  That means these are not my views.  :)

FYI  I am not offended by homosexuals at all.  I am not, but I could care less what others do. 

Why are you offended by religion?  If you don't like it - just like everything else in the world - don't look or llisten. :) That's what i do if I see something that offends me.  I am just trying to understand the direction our society is going in.  :)

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I'm "offended" by religious bigots that don't believe that homosexuals deserve the same rights as other couples. 

I'm also "offended" when said bigots don't realize that there is no 'Z' in homosexual. 

famiglia_bella
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM

It's understandable, things get lost in translation to typing.  And hot button issues are well, hot button.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry to have offended anyone :(  I was just trying to figure things out.  I think I also stated in my post that I didn't know if I was wordig things correctly or not.  Not my strongest area. 

Quoting famiglia_bella:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

975Mom
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM
I am a religious person. I believe that it is God who inspires good acts. I have seen and heard of people who are typically selfish actually being inspired to do good acts. I have seen and heard of people who are typically unselfish actually doing selfish acts. Every day each one of us makes choices that are influenced by our beliefs, thoughts, and feelings and we are also given opportunities by God to listen to His voice because he wants us to find happiness.

Of course, not every person is required to belong to a particular religion in order to qualify for God's help. They don't even need to acknowledge His help or be "deserving" of it. He helps anyway because He loves each of us.

There are those who choose not to acknowledge God and each has developed their own belief system. I am not certain why some of them have difficulty agreeing to disagree with those who have embraced religion. There are religious people who are equally afraid to agree to disagree. I have a friend who I have had for 38 years. I believe in God and she doesn't. I still think she is a wonderful friend and person. She has given me wonderful advice that I have found useful in my life. I believe she finds friendship in me as well. We converse easily about our beliefs because we respect each other. We do not try to force beliefs on each other.

I feel like my beliefs are conservative and yet I wouldn't think it appropriate to pray out loud in school if the concern was that someone might be offended. I believe that God hears and answers silent prayers. Not offending someone else is a good thing and so it comes from God's influence. The reason others may be offending you is twofold. First, you are choosing to be offended which is not a good thing. Second, they are not being respectful which is also not good, but is in their control not yours.

Most people are looking for ways to be happy. Not everyone looks in the same way. The best way is to look for ways to listen to what God is inspiring you to do. You will know it is from Him if it is good. Allowing yourself to be offended isn't a positive thing. Focus on the positive for your own mental well being.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN