Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Insurance Changes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

Hi, I'm wondering how many of you out there, have had your health insurance adversely affected by Obamacare --Don't bash me, I don't care what it's correct name is. --Hubby just e-mailed me that even after going down a notch in plans, our rates still go up $100/month. If we stayed with the same plan, it would be $250/mo increase. We are only a family of 3. Crazy, huh? I'd like to hear, how much have your rates gone up, has your employer had to cancel his insurance benefit and you now have to try and get your own?

Edit:  I got featured!!

Update:  Sorry, I mistated, it's $100/check (biweekly), and there will be higher deductibles involved.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I carry our insurance through work and it goes up every year. I think about $35.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Our didn't go up anymore than it normally goes up each year

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I haven't figured it all out yet.  I know my current plan is gone, an HSA, with less coverage than is now required.  The equivalent plan with my same provider will be more (better coverage, but mainly for things I don't need).  But, my rates did not go up, as usual in October, so I don't know how much they would have gone up anyway (just delayed until Jan).  I have not attempted the markets, so maybe something will be cheaper.  After seeing/hearing about the website mess, I have not dealt with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Last few years ours through dh's work has gone up for less coverage. Thanks Obama. It sucks. We are all gonna be on Obamacare when employers stop giving it as a benefit. We are headed for disaster.
famiglia_bella
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

My cousin's rate, for a fam of four, doubled.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

You're one of the very few lucky ones.

Quoting dingysfamily:

Our didn't go up anymore than it normally goes up each year

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

That really sucks. If I were him I'd write a thank you letter to Obama, but he probably would not get the sarcasm and consider it true praise.

Quoting famiglia_bella:

My cousin's rate, for a fam of four, doubled.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM
My insurance went up 75 dollars a pay check with higher deductibles. Not thrilled at all. I only expect the rate to continue to climb with this pos legislation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM
I don't know yet.

So far it hasn't gone up but I got a letter saying my current plan will die in summer 2014, I guess they will offer the same benefits with a higher premium, we are just me and my dd under private insurance, my DH gets his through work and doesn't pay anything
GertieK
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM

And it has JUST gotten started.... gonna be a bigger mess than most people can even conceive of.  THEY KNEW 95 million people would lose their insurance.  My cousin is being FORCED to pay for maternity care and BC (she is 58, and has had a hysterctomy).  This whole thing was a planned failure to force single-payer system.  This was all done to "help" only 15% of the population.  My insurance at work went up about $75/pay check (2 weeks) - but my employer pays for it, so, I only saw a very small increase.  HOWEVER, it did remove even the remoste possibility of a COL raise for anyone.  Cost of living keeps rising, but no help money-wise to keep up.  The average American's take-home has dropped from $55,000 a year to $52,000 a year.  Our country is in a pickle, and yet there are those who could care less as long as they keep getting their freebies.  Fewer people working, fewer paying into the system, and taxes will continue to climb in order to keep up with paying for those living on the dole.  So very sad - and this helath care debacle is just the tip of the ice berg.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)