Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Mom Accused of Drugging 6-Year-Old's Yogurt to Change His Behavior??

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 5 Replies

Mom Accused of Drugging 6-Year-Old's Yogurt to Change His Behavior

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

mom drugged sonIn a bit of horrifying news out of Florida, a mom of a 6-year-old boy is accused of drugging his yogurt with Adderall in order to gauge whether it changed his behavior. She was arrested after she asked the teacher to report back any changes. Her son did not have a prescription for the drug, which is often prescribed to treat ADHD in children.

She is now facing child abuse charges and while there is no doubt what she did was illegal and immoral and wrong, it's also sort of sad. Clearly she was worried about her child and hoping, in this depraved, sick, and twisted way, that she might help him get better.

It doesn't make it right, but it does make it all the more sad. Why she didn't just take him to the doctor I guess we don't know. So many questions.

This teacher who reported her must have suspected, though, that this was not simply a desperate mother dosing her child and at the end of her rope, so maybe there is more to the story. It's also possible the doctor WAS consulted and said he did not need adderall in which case that makes it all the more wrong.

She is accused of giving him a prescription drug without a script. If she is guilty, she endangered his life and his health in a most egregious way. No matter what her reasoning is, there is no excuse for that. His small body could have been overwhelmed and this story could have had a far more tragic ending. Let's hope she learns from her mistake and never considers this again.

Do you have any sympathy for this mother or think this was straight up abuse?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JTE11
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM

In the absence of any other facts about the case I'd say it sounds to me like she was actually concerned about her son and not out to harm him, but just went about it in a very wrong way. I have sympathy for a desperate mother because I am frequently that mother, but that doesn't excuse what she did.

want10more
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:28 AM

if she's a single mom w/ an out of control kid, then i'm TRYING to feel some sympathy. but nope. didn't work. i'd say try some parenting classes first, after taking him to the dr. but to DRUG a baby? dear heavens she so easily could have killed him! nope. no excuse. no sympathy either.

Lil_Wolf
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:49 AM

If this mom wants sympathy, she should look in the dictionary between shit & syphilis. I know a boy whose mom gave him adhd meds because he took longer to his homework than she wanted him to take. He is a very well behaved child who has no reason to be on the meds. His annual school check-up was great & his sports physical was, too. No idea how she got the meds to give to him. Some "parents" make me wish you had to qualify for parenthood before having kids.

want10more
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:11 AM

don't know about adhd meds. warm milk sure. i'd just be too scared to give my kids drugs. i'd rather go the warm mllk route.....

Quoting Anonymous:

ADHD meds wont kill anyone, esp if your only taking it for the first time in a small dose, it likely wouldnt have any noticable effect at all. You have to take those meds for about 2 weeks to really notice anything since your body has to adjust and adapt to it.

No she shouldnt drug her kids, but haven't we all given the kids warm milk to get them to get tired and go to sleep so that we can get a break from them? Sorta the same concept, but it isnt drugs, I know, but your trying to trick their bodies just the same for personal benefit.

Quoting want10more:

if she's a single mom w/ an out of control kid, then i'm TRYING to feel some sympathy. but nope. didn't work. i'd say try some parenting classes first, after taking him to the dr. but to DRUG a baby? dear heavens she so easily could have killed him! nope. no excuse. no sympathy either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Millions of kids are "drugged" every day w/ the exact same thing she gave her son. I think child abuse charges are extreme. She is def an idiot, and I don't have sympathy, but this article is over dramatic. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN