Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Haunted house or Active Imagination?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 28 Replies

Ok, so maybe some of you guys might have some advice or experience with this. For a while now our 10 yr old daughter has been complaining off and on that she doesn't like sleeping in her room because she feels like there's something in it at night. She's said on different occasions that she's felt like something cold touched her arm when she's in bed at night, that she felt a strange presence, etc.

About 2 weeks ago she came downstairs crying saying she felt like there was something strange and she didn't want to sleep in her room. My husband tried to tell her it was just her imagination and that it's her room as long as we live here and she had to go up and get to sleep. (he's the tough love type who also doesn't believe in any type of spirts,ghosts,etc, one of those "i have to see it to believe it" type people)  I have lived in a house many years ago that was haunted, so I know the possibility is out there, so I have a little more patience and understanding about her feelings. I went up with her to her room and sat and talked with her for a while and read a Bible verse that I used to read when I was little. We talked for a little while, I reassured her she would be fine and gave her a hug and she did end up going to sleep and being fine.

Now just last night she came into our room in the middle of the night, very upset, saying she saw a figure in her room and didn't want to go back in there. I went in with her, had her open the Bible and read the verse. I let her keep her night stand lamp on and her radio turned on low so it wasn't so dark and quiet, to make her feel a little better. I went back to my room and she went to sleep and didn't come out of her room the rest of the  night.

This morning on the way to school, I asked her if she slept ok the rest of the night and she told me more about it. She said she woke up and could see a figure standing in the middle of her room. I asked her if it was kind of like a shadow, that maybe it was from the streetlight outside our house. She said no, it wasn't like a shadow, that is was like gray. That it looked like a little boy, and I asked why would she say it looked like a little boy. I asked if she could see a face, she said no, it was just a gray figure but it seemed like her same height.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little freaked out and don't know what to think. But I have kept a calm and very reassuring face on whenever I talk to her about it. I have no one to talk to about it since my husband thinks it's all a bunch of malarkey. I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with something like this and what you would do?

Edit : I forgot to mention a few things when I originally posted. It may be completely coincidence, but thought I'd add it to the info. We have a large standing touch lamp in our t.v. room, which you can turn on or off by touching it. Anyways, it has had the tendency on different occasions to turn itself on or off when no one is touching it or remotely near it at all. One night I woke up in the middle of the night, just with a wierd feeling, like I couldn't go back to sleep, so I went downstairs to watch t.v. The lamp has three brightness settings, and as I was watching t.v., it flicked on and off, going through all the brightness levels, then off, then back on. This happened about 2 or 3 times before it stopped, at which point I was a little creeped out and pulled the plug on the lamp so I couldn't come back on at all.

Another separate thing, which just came to my mind yesterday. This past spring when I was cleaning a bunch of junk out of our basement shelf (old crap the last owner left behind) I found this old bottle w/ a hand written label "Holy water" - no joke- I literally laughed out loud to myself, as I tossed it out, along with a few old dust covered boxes of white candles I think they were labeled blessing candles, I can't remember, but it was something like that. Anyways, I thought it was completely funny and insignificant at the time, but now I'm wondering if that stuff was there because the last family had an issue w/ the house at some point.

Last small thing. My daughter's (the one who is having the issue) biological father passed away a few years ago. We had been out of contact for a couple years at the point when it happened, which was very sudden(he committed suicide). But moving on, around the middle of October I began to really have him on my mind for some reason, a lot more than usual, I had a dream about him, where it was one of those dreams where you realize you are dreaming, anyway, I couldn't remember much of the dream when I woke up, but I did remember that I was aware I was dreaming while in it, and like, he was not aware (my daughters father) like he thought we were really back together in person, that it was real, and in the dream I was thinking to myself - I need to tell him this isn't real- but I didn't want to let him down and make him sad...It was very vague but I remember that much. A few days after the dream, he continued to be on my mind, but didn't want to talk to anyone about it, so I made a private vlog on my laptop. I was really missing him, so I brought down from my closet the box with all of the things I have from him, his old clothes I saved from when we lived together, a photo album with all pics of him and us together, a few disposable razors he used and left at my old house at the time we were still together(ok, I know that sounds weird,but whatever).  So as I was doing the vlog, I was talking about him mentioning how he'd been on my mind a lot more lately and about that I missed him even more lately, I was looking through the box of his stuff I held one of his old shirts, still as I was talking to the camera, I mentioned how I wish I knew someone who was a medium because I really wish I could talk to him somehow, but of course I don't know anyone who is. I was thinking about old times and I started crying a few times, had to stop the vlog. So long story short, the point of it is, I was wondering if since October is the time of the year where the spirt and physical world are closest, if somehow his spirit could have heard me or even caused me to have the dream I had of him. I did research and read that spirits often use dreams as a prime way to contact people who are still alive.  I just wish I could talk to someone with more knowledge on the subject.

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kfdmrw9312
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM

BUMP!

chrisginct
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I have had experiences dealing with spirits and my children and I have found if you go in her room and lay down the law and set boundaries it normally stops, well in my experiences anyway. I basically talk out loud and very firm and demand it to stay out of my kids rooms and to not bother or show itsself to my kids! Its not allowed! Try doing that and just reassure her that she is ok and give her the confidence she needs to do the same if it doesnt listen to you! hope this helps!
Kfdmrw9312
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking about something like that earlier but wasn't sure. I didn't know if it would make it worse if I give it attention/address it outloud (if there is indeed something there). Thanks for the feedback.

Quoting chrisginct:

I have had experiences dealing with spirits and my children and I have found if you go in her room and lay down the law and set boundaries it normally stops, well in my experiences anyway. I basically talk out loud and very firm and demand it to stay out of my kids rooms and to not bother or show itsself to my kids! Its not allowed! Try doing that and just reassure her that she is ok and give her the confidence she needs to do the same if it doesnt listen to you! hope this helps!

chrisginct
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
your welcome i have dealt with this in two seperate houses and what i believe was two diff spirits and it worked for me! You just have to be really firm and demanding!! I def believe there is spirits in this world I have seen and heard too many to not believe! Good luck!!
Kfdmrw9312
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM

BUMP!

D.O.E.
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM
That gave me chills
I believe her
Kfdmrw9312
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Same here. She's seems genuine, especially since it's been happening for a while now, it happens very randomly, just wish I could get a handle of what to do about it.

Quoting D.O.E.:

That gave me chills
I believe her

Kfdmrw9312
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

BUMP!

Texascandee
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I believe her because my gs sees "someone" in our apt.  I've dealt with spirits before so I believe in it........you can put salt in every corner of your house and it will purify it.  Spirits generally hide in corners so that might help you.  You could also try smuding your house with sage.............good luck

Kfdmrw9312
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions :-) I will try it & keep you guys posted

Quoting Texascandee:

I believe her because my gs sees "someone" in our apt.  I've dealt with spirits before so I believe in it........you can put salt in every corner of your house and it will purify it.  Spirits generally hide in corners so that might help you.  You could also try smuding your house with sage.............good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN