Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think this is safe or just asking for trouble?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this

Baby Prank Video Actually Looks Dangerous in Real Life (VIDEO)

by Adriana Velez

babies riding roombasIt's one of those videos that seem hilarious until you actually start thinking about it. Babies riding Roombas -- a compilation video happening now on YouTube. What's not to love? It's shot after shot of babies sitting placidly atop moving Roombas. I don't know that everyone will find this video funny, but when I first saw it, I thought it had a kind of droll, absurd appeal. And then someone asked a super-boring but necessary question: Is that even safe?

Roombas, in case you're wondering, are those robotic vacuum cleaners that can navigate a room all on their own. A Roomba has mechanisms that help it avoid obstacles, I guess. But it was built to vacuum floors, not transport human children.

Anyway, now that I watch the video with a more critical lens, I can see how a kid could actually get hurt. Babies could smash their fingers -- not fatal, but still kind of crummy. Worse, they could bump into hard objects in awkward ways, like getting partially stuck under a coffee table with sharp edges. Hell, what's to keep that thing from falling down the stairs? I'm not familiar with Roombas, so for all I know, there's a safety feature that keeps that from happening. But who knows.

Anyway, the point is, Roombas are not manufactured to carry babies. So enjoy this video, be glad no one gets hurt, but definitely don't try this at home! Promise me? I would hate for anyone to see this video and then, inspired, plunk their own baby on their Roomba and watch as disaster ensues.

Do you think it's safe to let your baby ride a Roomba, or is this just asking for trouble?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I don't have an issue.
lapcounter
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Not something I would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM
14 moms liked this
I think the author of this article should buy some bubble wrap and a lock for a closet door. Maybe then she will feel safe from a vacuum.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Cute!
2Sparrows4ever
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Me either 

Quoting lapcounter:

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Quoting lapcounter:

This

Annie_21
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I dont know if that is classified as "Safe".

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM
10 moms liked this

Oh, please. Do we really think people are sending their kids off on a motorized vacuum cleaner to fall down stairs? People that stupid are going to find ways to injure their children regardless, and babies riding roombas is hilarious.

nocalmegan
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM
19 moms liked this
If the parent is taping it then they are obviously right there and aren't going to let the baby roll down the stairs or crash into the coffee table. Those things move so slow and are like 2 inches off the ground. Not that big of a deal.

Eta: the video is adorable and the parents are all standing right there
Supervane
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:57 AM
15 moms liked this
I would never put my Roomba through this. I love it to much to risk breaking it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)