Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think this is safe or just asking for trouble?

Posted by   + Show Post

Baby Prank Video Actually Looks Dangerous in Real Life (VIDEO)

by Adriana Velez

babies riding roombasIt's one of those videos that seem hilarious until you actually start thinking about it. Babies riding Roombas -- a compilation video happening now on YouTube. What's not to love? It's shot after shot of babies sitting placidly atop moving Roombas. I don't know that everyone will find this video funny, but when I first saw it, I thought it had a kind of droll, absurd appeal. And then someone asked a super-boring but necessary question: Is that even safe?

Roombas, in case you're wondering, are those robotic vacuum cleaners that can navigate a room all on their own. A Roomba has mechanisms that help it avoid obstacles, I guess. But it was built to vacuum floors, not transport human children.

Anyway, now that I watch the video with a more critical lens, I can see how a kid could actually get hurt. Babies could smash their fingers -- not fatal, but still kind of crummy. Worse, they could bump into hard objects in awkward ways, like getting partially stuck under a coffee table with sharp edges. Hell, what's to keep that thing from falling down the stairs? I'm not familiar with Roombas, so for all I know, there's a safety feature that keeps that from happening. But who knows.

Anyway, the point is, Roombas are not manufactured to carry babies. So enjoy this video, be glad no one gets hurt, but definitely don't try this at home! Promise me? I would hate for anyone to see this video and then, inspired, plunk their own baby on their Roomba and watch as disaster ensues.

Do you think it's safe to let your baby ride a Roomba, or is this just asking for trouble?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Replies (91-99):
Uhura
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I wouldn't let the kid ride a roomba, they could get hurt or break the roomba.

Now my sister's cat..good luck stopping him from riding a roomba. He treats it as his personal steed.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM

All I can think of is part of a cause of add

raenydaes
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM

As long as the parents are there and being attentive, I actually think this could be a good thing.  Some of these babies are getting good practice at coordination, balance, and other developmental needs by doing this.  I'm a little more worried for the vacuum.....that extra weight might burn it out.

Bellmont
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 5:11 AM

I would never do it

ShannyLouisiany
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 5:22 AM
wut.

Quoting Anonymous:

All I can think of is part of a cause of add

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Omg it is just a unny video. I hate when people over analyze stuff. Im so glad I dont know you because I can just tell, you are a very boring person.
Nashuasmom
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM
My youngest is obsessed with roomba but he's not allowed to touch it. Those things aren't cheap!
He has about 10 words and one is roomba!
So I don't think I'd let him ride it. My 5 year old would be right behind wanting his turn!
The video with cats riding is cuter.
kstchr
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I would be concerned about not using something the way it was designed to work. Of course, I only wish I had a Roomba!!! 

whohasmyname
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM

i wouldnt do w/ my child but I dont see how it could really hurt a child.   That thing won't run the child over should the child fall.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)