Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

You're not better than I am just because you're a single mom!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 310 Replies
8 moms liked this

One of my friends has this idea that she's somehow better than me or her other married friends because she's doing it all solo. Now, I give her props for handling things on her own fairly well, but she wouldn't be single if she didn't have 5 kids by 5 different men, with no more than a 3yr age difference between them (most are only around a year). All 5 guys were married or in committed relationships with other women when she had sex with them and only 1 of the 5 gives her anything for child support - and that's not much. So, yes, she has to make ends meet herself and does, but she wouldn't be in that position if she'd made better choices.

I don't think she's superior to anyone else because of that fact, especially when I and a few others are married but also do 99% of the childrearing and such ourselves because our spouses are deployed overseas.

What do you think? Does being a single parent make you better than others, or just different?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bikrck
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM
41 moms liked this

Being a single mom does not make you a better or stronger person.   Its just a life style that we are currently in and we must make the best of it.   Many married women are single moms as well due to different circumstances.   Both are to be admired and supported for being a mom period. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM
10 moms liked this
Only successful parents are better.
1frog
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM
6 moms liked this

...Or because our spouses are simply gone a lot for long periods on the job, not just being deployed. Although heavy props for being military. My husband is gone for 5 weeks and then home for 5 weeks. I have the best of both worlds, single half the time and married the other half! Being a good parent is really all that matters in the end.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM
22 moms liked this
Hell no. Your friend sounds like a stupid idiot actually.
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM
6 moms liked this

I've been both, and never felt like I was better than anyone because of either situation.  Your friends needs an attitude adjustment.

jurbi
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

That doesn't even make any sense.... The best would be to have 2 parents... I think the better parent is the one that is married so you don't get so stressed out because you have a partner to help you... Even if they don't physically help you all the time you have a constant person to talk to about it and vent...

ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
23 moms liked this

just the fact of being a single mom doesn't make anyone better.  You can equally be a crappy parent whether your're married or single.  Being single or married doesn't make you a good or bad parent, it's how you parent that makes you a good or bad parent.  your friend put herself in that situation.

MidwestMama55
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM
10 moms liked this

Different. Certainly not better. Kids deserve a mom and a dad. I realize it's not always the case, but it's still the best model out there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

That's exactly how I see it, too, but she thinks she's so much better solely because she's a single mom.

Quoting bikrck:

Being a single mom does not make you a better or stronger person.   Its just a life style that we are currently in and we must make the best of it.   Many married women are single moms as well due to different circumstances.   Both are to be admired and supported for being a mom period. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Right! My ex wasn't military but had a sales job that took him out of state a lot.

Quoting 1frog:

...Or because our spouses are simply gone a lot for long periods on the job, not just being deployed. Although heavy props for being military. My husband is gone for 5 weeks and then home for 5 weeks. I have the best of both worlds, single half the time and married the other half! Being a good parent is really all that matters in the end.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)