Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should mom have been banned from school due to something she posted on Facebook?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 90 Replies

Mom Banned From Kid's School Because of Something She Posted on Facebook

by Ericka Sóuter

tracy mountSchools are hyper-vigilant about safety. In many instances, that's a good thing, but sometimes administrators take things too far. Case in point: a Georgia mom and army vet Tanya Mount has been banned from her daughter's school because she posted a photo of her gun permit on Facebook. Apparently, the fact she had a permit frightened the school's principal. Regardless of what you feel about the right to bear arms, there is a bigger, scarier issue at play here.

This mom is being punished for doing something completely within her rights to do. As far as we can tell from reports, she had never displayed any aggression, violence, or rage at the school or to staff. She was even a regular volunteer, spending time on the playground with her special needs daughter. She did nothing illegal. She did nothing wrong.

The principal, who was reportedly uncomfortable with Mount being a former soldier who could carry a gun, told her to stop helping out at the school and go home to focus on "grownup" things. This mom says she was made to feel like a criminal -- and unfairly so.

So does this mean a school can ban any parent who does something they don't like? What if we all started getting banned from our kids' schools based on what we put on Facebook? It's outrageous. So if someone simply doesn't agree with you, they can have a parent prohibited from stepping onto school grounds. What's next? This could open the door to all kinds of unjust persecutions. What's to stop someone from petitioning to have a person banned for their political stance or how they feel about some other hot-button issue? What's especially upsetting about Mount's situation is that she fought for the freedoms and rights of the very people who are doing this to her. The entire situation is an abuse of power. It makes no sense. AT. ALL. 

CLICK FOR VIDEO

What do you think about what this principal did to this mom?

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
People don't think. 90% of what idiots post shouldn't be posted. I shake my head at what someone put on facebook. People in general are really stupid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I would probably have been banned from my kids' school if I hadn't pulled them out when I did.  Everything I posted about issues I was having with the school got back to the principal.  I found out who was tattling on me though, so ridiculous.  If the principal did her damn job she wouldn't have to have done any damage control at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM
4 moms liked this

I think the school is being ridiculous.  They can easily say she can't carry her gun on school grounds, to include the parking lot.  Actually, I think in some places that is the law.  And if she went the proper route to get a permit then she KNOWS the law.  She's proud of herself for accomplishing a right many Americans don't pursue: right to bear arms.

mamabear0791
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I think that is taking things way too far! As a teacher, I like the idea that my student's mother is following the law by having a license. I also think she has a right to post it. I've never shot a gun, but look forward to learning. If I can do so safely, I would love to be licensed myself. My eyes are so bad, though, It may be safer for me to remain ignorant of how to shoot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
It makes her see a little radical. I mean get a permit and keep it to yourself. The world doesn't need to know. People scream everything from the rooftops now. It is really crazy. Keep things private people.
LuvmyAiden
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
5 moms liked this

That is INSANE! There is nothing wrong with what she did at all. If they banned every parent with a carry permit here there would no parents left to help with anything. This is both ridiculous and scary. Not a good indicator of where we are headed at all!

TB78
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

It's dumb. So what if she has a Legal permit to have a gun. So long as she doesn't bring it with her to school, she should be fine.

DragonInfinity
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

............sad

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Ridiculous! She can legally carry a weapon which is better then some idiot having a gun illegally. All that needs to be said is it can't be on school property.
RayOSunshine03
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Who made you the Social Media Police? People who have a problem with what people post on their own social media sites need to get a grip. She posted a legal picture of her legal permit. You can comment the ever enlightening "SMH" and move on.

Quoting Anonymous:

People don't think. 90% of what idiots post shouldn't be posted. I shake my head at what someone put on facebook. People in general are really stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)