Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should mom have been banned from school due to something she posted on Facebook?

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom Banned From Kid's School Because of Something She Posted on Facebook

by Ericka Sóuter

tracy mountSchools are hyper-vigilant about safety. In many instances, that's a good thing, but sometimes administrators take things too far. Case in point: a Georgia mom and army vet Tanya Mount has been banned from her daughter's school because she posted a photo of her gun permit on Facebook. Apparently, the fact she had a permit frightened the school's principal. Regardless of what you feel about the right to bear arms, there is a bigger, scarier issue at play here.

This mom is being punished for doing something completely within her rights to do. As far as we can tell from reports, she had never displayed any aggression, violence, or rage at the school or to staff. She was even a regular volunteer, spending time on the playground with her special needs daughter. She did nothing illegal. She did nothing wrong.

The principal, who was reportedly uncomfortable with Mount being a former soldier who could carry a gun, told her to stop helping out at the school and go home to focus on "grownup" things. This mom says she was made to feel like a criminal -- and unfairly so.

So does this mean a school can ban any parent who does something they don't like? What if we all started getting banned from our kids' schools based on what we put on Facebook? It's outrageous. So if someone simply doesn't agree with you, they can have a parent prohibited from stepping onto school grounds. What's next? This could open the door to all kinds of unjust persecutions. What's to stop someone from petitioning to have a person banned for their political stance or how they feel about some other hot-button issue? What's especially upsetting about Mount's situation is that she fought for the freedoms and rights of the very people who are doing this to her. The entire situation is an abuse of power. It makes no sense. AT. ALL. 

CLICK FOR VIDEO

What do you think about what this principal did to this mom?

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Replies (81-90):
srehman
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I'm not worried that everyone with PTSD is going to go crazy. 1
2 it was an example (:-/
3 I don't want to change your mind you asked for an explanation I gave one. Of course without knowing all the details it is circumstantial.
4 bc you aren't Muslim you don't realize that people are racist against a people who believe in a certain religion.
I'm thankful for your point of view. And again I don't want to change your mind only explain the possibility of why a choice was made and why someone will view her choice as being a little wrong as well. Nice chatting. With you again.

Quoting Anonymous:

#1.  Well nobody wants to find out that anyone killed their child, no matter the reason.

#2.  Yes I said that. As I said, I tried & I can not wrap my head around living in fear, controlling others bc of fear & punishing people who have not broken any laws.

#3.  LOL you must look around you. Rights are slowly going, many in the government don't take the Constitution or Bill of Rights seriously & the laws they are passing & trying to pass prove it & citizens wanting these laws don't help & show they don't care about the Constitution or Bill of Rights.  The fact that schools are overstepping, yes we are losing our rights.

#4.  I went back to #2 & no I didn't change my mind.  Again, that doesn't mean I'm closeminded. 

#5.  Well then stop worrying that everyone w/PTSD is going to go off their rocker & harm people.

#6.  LOL deal w/people who think the government is trying to control them.  LOL look around you, those that you deal w/are not crazy we are just not blind & see what is going on.  Nope not wearing a tin foil hat either. 

Racism has nothing to do w/religion.  Many of us deal w/hatred, racism & bigotry everyday as well.

Last, I am done w/the conversation.  My mind will not change, I see things for what they are.  Just bc my mind didn't change doesn't mean I didn't attempt to see from your side.  But whatever.

I'm glad you think they went too far, but yes it is a control issue all bc of fear.

Quoting srehman:

First of all "you" being general term here. I don't want to find out that a person who had PTSD lost their mind and killed children. #1.
#2 you said yourself you will never understand where I am coming from.
#3 all this non sense people are losing rights? No they r not. It's called the constitution and the bill of rights.
#4 I don't think it's sad you didn't change your mind so go back to #2
#5 I have a family member who has this disorder...and I care for her very much. So the answer to that question is no I wouldn't stop being a friend.
#6 yes. I deal with people who think the gov't is trying to control every aspect of their life. I also deal with hatred and racism bc I live in the conservative south and people don't understand why I converted to Islam.
And lastly: if I chose as well to live in fear I wouldn't leave the house nor would my child be going to school, a public school at that. So, in saying that will I think the principal went a bit too far? Yes. But do I understand. Yes. Is it right? No, it's for the school and the parent to work out.
So back to topic.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL no it means I have thought about the other way & my mind won't change.  That isn't close minded that is thinking for myself & having my own thought process. 

It means I see this for what it is, people losing rights bc people want to control things, control things out of fear, control people who have done nothing wrong.  Sorry but I am not ok w/that & it is sad that so many are.

I'm sorry just bc I didn't change my mind doesn't mean I didn't try, I looked at it and still find it ridiculous.  I find it sad that you think just bc someone doesn't change their mind they didn't try or that I'm close minded.  I could sit here & say those that try to control others based on fears are close minded, those that want to control others bc they don't agree w/them are close minded as well.

I believe in my rights & freedoms, I refuse to give those up to people for no reason at all.  Sorry that is not close minded.

PTSD is not a symptom, there are symptoms showing someone has PTSD.  What do you mean you never want to find out?  What would you do if you new me & found out? Walk away from me as a friend? Be afraid of me? Fear for my children whom I love very much? I am a wonderful mother & would never harm them thank you.

You deal w/people like me? You don't know me.  I deal w/people all around me trying to control others out of fears, that is close minded.

You say it is sad that I can't look at it from another angle, which I have you just don't like that I didn't change my mind, thing is you seem to not want to see it from a different angle.  But that is ok, I choose to not live in fear & I choose to not let people control me based on their fears.

Quoting srehman:

Well you said yourself you won't look at it any other way which makes you closed minded as well. It's not a fear, I would love to know the principals personal views on guns and if he even owns any. That would be fantastic information at this point.
Now, you asked for someone to explain why people feel her choice was a poor choice. I did that and you still don't want to even try to see it another way. You at this point have it in your mind that the school is completely wrong.
I'm sorry you have PTSD. And I agree that it doesn't mean you will go psycho, but I don't ever want to find out either. There have been mothers who have killed their own children from this symptom and people said in their defense "I never expected this from her" you don't know someone. Ever.
I have answered your question and I deal with people who think like you all the time. It's okay and I understand your view. Its just sad that you can't consider an alternative. Nice chatting with you.

TatyBear
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Ridiculous.

And I'm not American and do not believe in the right to bare arms stuff. But whatever.

I think its freaking ridiculous.

They going to ban kids with their hunting lisences next or their moms and dads.

Ffs.

one_on_the_way
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM

If this is TRULY all there is to the story, I agree it is ridiculous.  But, when I read something like this that sounds so extreme for the facts presented, I can't help but wonder what more there is to the story....especially when we only hear one side of it.  

I just highly doubt that a school would take such drastic measures SIMPLY for a parent having a concealed weapons permit.  Also, it's apparent the principal and the parent had some issues prior to this...with the principal asking her to stay home rather than volunteer at school.  Now, excuse me, schools by me have to practically beg parents to stop by and spend time and volunteer....WHY would a school turn away a PARENT VOLUNTEER without reason?

I just think there is more to the story.

.Bad.Wolf.
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I just have one question. In all of the shootings lately, how many of the shooters had permits & how many of them had guns no one knew about?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Lol I see hate towards Muslims, Christians, gays, Atheists and those being hateful towards those groups are not being racist as these are not races.

Please do not assume a thing about me, you have no idea what I've seen.

Quoting srehman:

3 I don't want to change your mind you asked for an explanation I gave one. Of course without knowing all the details it is circumstantial.

4 bc you aren't Muslim you don't realize that people are racist against a people who believe in a certain religion.

I'm thankful for your point of view. And again I don't want to change your mind only explain the possibility of why a choice was made and why someone will view her choice as being a little wrong as well. Nice chatting. With you again.

Quoting Anonymous:

#1.  Well nobody wants to find out that anyone killed their child, no matter the reason.

#2.  Yes I said that. As I said, I tried & I can not wrap my head around living in fear, controlling others bc of fear & punishing people who have not broken any laws.

#3.  LOL you must look around you. Rights are slowly going, many in the government don't take the Constitution or Bill of Rights seriously & the laws they are passing & trying to pass prove it & citizens wanting these laws don't help & show they don't care about the Constitution or Bill of Rights.  The fact that schools are overstepping, yes we are losing our rights.

#4.  I went back to #2 & no I didn't change my mind.  Again, that doesn't mean I'm closeminded. 

#5.  Well then stop worrying that everyone w/PTSD is going to go off their rocker & harm people.

#6.  LOL deal w/people who think the government is trying to control them.  LOL look around you, those that you deal w/are not crazy we are just not blind & see what is going on.  Nope not wearing a tin foil hat either. 

Racism has nothing to do w/religion.  Many of us deal w/hatred, racism & bigotry everyday as well.

Last, I am done w/the conversation.  My mind will not change, I see things for what they are.  Just bc my mind didn't change doesn't mean I didn't attempt to see from your side.  But whatever.

I'm glad you think they went too far, but yes it is a control issue all bc of fear.

Quoting srehman:

First of all "you" being general term here. I don't want to find out that a person who had PTSD lost their mind and killed children. #1.
#3 all this non sense people are losing rights? No they r not. It's called the constitution and the bill of rights.
#5 I have a family member who has this disorder...and I care for her very much. So the answer to that question is no I wouldn't stop being a friend.
#6 yes. I deal with people who think the gov't is trying to control every aspect of their life. I also deal with hatred and racism bc I live in the conservative south and people don't understand why I converted to Islam.
And lastly: if I chose as well to live in fear I wouldn't leave the house nor would my child be going to school, a public school at that. So, in saying that will I think the principal went a bit too far? Yes. But do I understand. Yes. Is it right? No, it's for the school and the parent to work out.
So back to topic.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL no it means I have thought about the other way & my mind won't change.  That isn't close minded that is thinking for myself & having my own thought process. 

It means I see this for what it is, people losing rights bc people want to control things, control things out of fear, control people who have done nothing wrong.  Sorry but I am not ok w/that & it is sad that so many are.

I'm sorry just bc I didn't change my mind doesn't mean I didn't try, I looked at it and still find it ridiculous.  I find it sad that you think just bc someone doesn't change their mind they didn't try or that I'm close minded.  I could sit here & say those that try to control others based on fears are close minded, those that want to control others bc they don't agree w/them are close minded as well.

I believe in my rights & freedoms, I refuse to give those up to people for no reason at all.  Sorry that is not close minded.

PTSD is not a symptom, there are symptoms showing someone has PTSD.  What do you mean you never want to find out?  What would you do if you new me & found out? Walk away from me as a friend? Be afraid of me? Fear for my children whom I love very much? I am a wonderful mother & would never harm them thank you.

You deal w/people like me? You don't know me.  I deal w/people all around me trying to control others out of fears, that is close minded.

You say it is sad that I can't look at it from another angle, which I have you just don't like that I didn't change my mind, thing is you seem to not want to see it from a different angle.  But that is ok, I choose to not live in fear & I choose to not let people control me based on their fears.

Quoting srehman:

Well you said yourself you won't look at it any other way which makes you closed minded as well. It's not a fear, I would love to know the principals personal views on guns and if he even owns any. That would be fantastic information at this point.
Now, you asked for someone to explain why people feel her choice was a poor choice. I did that and you still don't want to even try to see it another way. You at this point have it in your mind that the school is completely wrong.
I'm sorry you have PTSD. And I agree that it doesn't mean you will go psycho, but I don't ever want to find out either. There have been mothers who have killed their own children from this symptom and people said in their defense "I never expected this from her" you don't know someone. Ever.
I have answered your question and I deal with people who think like you all the time. It's okay and I understand your view. Its just sad that you can't consider an alternative. Nice chatting with you.

ali_1107
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM

This world is complete bullshit now. You cannot discipline your own child as you see fit for fear of cps being called on you, because lord knows if someone see's you spank your child they'd act as if you were punching and kicking the shit out of them. You cannot leave animals in a vehicle for a split moment while you run into grab something without people calling animal control for negligence, you cannot have your children playing with toy guns (cops and robbers) because people will say they will grow up to be murderers. I say an eye for an eye... I am sick of how crappy our society is..

As for the question- The school was WAY out of line..

srehman
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM
I don't assume Anything about you, bc it's not my place to. You can't tell me that what I have experienced isn't racism. It is. It's hatred towards a group of individuals who happen to believe in a certain religion. Thank you again for your thoughts.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol I see hate towards Muslims, Christians, gays, Atheists and those being hateful towards those groups are not being racist as these are not races.

Quoting srehman:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

So back to topic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Omg I don't even know why I'm arguing with you.

If you experience hate bc of the color of your skin that is racism.

Experiencing hate bc of your religion is not racism as it has nothing to do with the color of your skin!

You experience religious hatred, hatred, bigotry but racism is not bc of religion.

Also look at your number 4 bc you did make assumptions about me.

Quoting srehman:

I don't assume Anything about you, bc it's not my place to. You can't tell me that what I have experienced isn't racism. It is. It's hatred towards a group of individuals who happen to believe in a certain religion. Thank you again for your thoughts.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

So back to topic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

srehman
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Thank you for your opinion.

Quoting Anonymous:

Experiencing hate bc of your religion is not racism as it has nothing to do with the color of your skin!

You experience religious hatred, hatred, bigotry but racism is not bc of religion.

Quoting srehman:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

So back to topic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Um it isn't opinion it is a fact that racism has to do with race not religion. That doesn't take away from that hate you've experienced but makes it easier for people to want to listen to you when you speak about it correctly.

You lose people when you aren't using things properly bc it makes it sound like you don't know what you are talking about and will make some question what you claim to have actually gone through.

Have a wonderful and blessed day.

Quoting srehman:

Thank you for your opinion.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

So back to topic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting srehman:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)