Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Banning honor roll so kids with bad grades don't get upset??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 92 Replies

"St. Basil Elementary and Junior High School in Calgary axed their honor roll program, including their year-end ceremonies for their 250 students in grades 7 through 9. And even though the school letter that went out read, 'Awards eventually lose their lustre to students who get them, while often hurting the self-esteem and pride of those who do not receive a certificate,' there were many parents and students who are disappointed in this decision and felt these awards were incentives for students to get better grades. Education speaker Alfie Kohn doesn't like rewards when it comes to our kids and education." [source]

Do you think doing away with rewards and incentives is helpful or hurtful to our kids?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM
15 moms liked this
Hate it!!! We have wimp kids now. The everyone gets a tropy mentality. Life is getting feelings hurt etc. Glad my kids went where there is still honor roles.
cupcake_mom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
It hurts them. These kids work hard to get those grades and the other kids don't! That is not the kids that do good fault, and they shouldn't be punished! IfIf the kids with bad grades works apply themselves like the others do then they would be getting awarded too.
cupcake_mom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I kind of agree with everyone should get a trophy got certain things. Like my kids ball team gets a trophy for playing but then they also give another trophy to the MVP, mostmost improved, and things like that. But i don't agree with this school taking away the honor roll stuff, that is just not fair

Quoting Anonymous:

Hate it!!! We have wimp kids now. The everyone gets a tropy mentality. Life is getting feelings hurt etc. Glad my kids went where there is still honor roles.
OMGLasersPOWPOW
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Stupid.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I never think everyone should get a trophy. Maybe a participation ribbon but a trophy is for winners.

Quoting cupcake_mom:

I kind of agree with everyone should get a trophy got certain things. Like my kids ball team gets a trophy for playing but then they also give another trophy to the MVP, mostmost improved, and things like that. But i don't agree with this school taking away the honor roll stuff, that is just not fair

Quoting Anonymous:

cupcake_mom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
The participation trophy they get is much smaller than the other ones. I think every kids who played their best should get a trophy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I never think everyone should get a trophy. Maybe a participation ribbon but a trophy is for winners.

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Still, a trophy should not be participation only.

Quoting cupcake_mom:

The participation trophy they get is much smaller than the other ones. I think every kids who played their best should get a trophy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting Anonymous:

cupcake_mom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM
We will have to agree to disagree :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Sounds good

Quoting cupcake_mom:

We will have to agree to disagree :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting Anonymous:

TatyBear
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
3 moms liked this
That's freaking.stupid.

Kids who work hard to get the honor roll deserve it.

My cousin now 14 and in grade 10 lived for the honor roll. She does not get it now since her high school is only for kids with.a 90% average and above.

Parents and kids have gotten to sensitive. Its BS.

They still do honor roll here in my kids junior high and regular high schools.

I personally love the honor roll.system.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)