Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Man Who's 'Too Fat to Fly' Stranded When Airline Won't Fly Him BACK Home?!

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM
  • 14 Replies

Man Who's 'Too Fat to Fly' Stranded When Airline Won't Fly Him Home

by Jeanne Sager

airplane interiorA 22-year-old was left stranded in the Chicago airport this week when British Airways decided he was too fat to fly home. Kevin Chenais is 500 pounds, and he was only in the Midwest to visit a clinic for his hormone disorder. But why he's there doesn't really matter, does it? It's how he got there.

Because here's the thing: Kevin Chenais flew to the United States from France. On a British Airways flight.

And according to his parents, he was just as big on the trip here.

Only now the airline says they can't send him home, releasing the follow statement to the media:

The British Airways team worked tirelessly to try and find a solution for the family but unfortunately we cannot safely accommodate the customer on any of our aircraft.

Funny, it seems they could safely accommodate him the first time around. The airline won't comment on whether they offered Chenais the chance to buy a second seat to accommodate his girth, but this case once again brings up the biggest problem with airlines and the folks who are being deemed "too fat to fly."

The rules are few and far between, and they're applied willy nilly.

Remember Kevin Smith, the movie director kicked off a Southwest flight because he couldn't comfortably fit in a seat? As he was being thrown off, he mentioned noting a "fellow fatty" (his words) who was bigger than him and allowed to stay on the flight.

Then there was Kenlie Tiggeman, the overweight passenger told she was too big for a Southwest flight who was given travel vouchers by the airline. Ahem, she's too big for your supposed airline restrictions, so the answer is to tell her she can take a later flight ... on your airline? Talk about your mixed messages!

That's what Kevin Chenais has gotten too. He wasn't too big when he flew in, but he's too big now? At around the same weight, and with the same health restrictions (he requires oxygen)?

Whether you think folks who are on the larger side should be required to buy two seats or grounded permanently or whatever it is you really feel about the obese, the fact remains that airlines need to make up their minds about how they want to deal with them, and then stick to their darn story. No more back and forth!

Have you ever had trouble getting on a flight? What happened?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM
This doesn't make sense. If they allowed him to fly here then there's no reason they can't fly him home.
cupcake_mom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I think this is crazy and sad. The airline is just being mean! And picking on this man.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Sounds awful. Yes, some should be required to buy 2 seats. Trouble is where do you draw the line? Someone 5 ft tall and 300 lbs are morbidly obese. Someone 6 ft 4 and 300lbs are not.
lga1965
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Have you seen his picture ? I'm wondering how it's possible that he is still alive !
I suppose the next big event that enables them will be special huge seats in airlines. Then the price of our tickets will go up to pay for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunflower37
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

That's just awful. If they flew him to his destination they shouldn't have no problem flying him back home. I have never flown on a airplane being a fatty myself I think I should stay at home before I get stranded some where.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Reading other articles this wasn't really about his size. It was about his medical issues and how bad of shape he was in and the constant medical treatment he required.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds awful. Yes, some should be required to buy 2 seats. Trouble is where do you draw the line? Someone 5 ft tall and 300 lbs are morbidly obese. Someone 6 ft 4 and 300lbs are not.

anyone that is 300 lbs, regardless of height , is obese, so if both cannot fit, they need to both buy an extra ticket. 

littlelamb303
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Quoting lga1965:

Have you seen his picture ? I'm wondering how it's possible that he is still alive !
I suppose the next big event that enables them will be special huge seats in airlines. Then the price of our tickets will go up to pay for them.

I have seen his pic and yes he is big.  He must truly have a problem because even under doctors supervision in the hospital, he still did not lose weight.  I don't understand what the airline did at all, because they brought him in at the same weight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM
He is 500lbs.

Quoting littlelamb303:

Quoting lga1965:

I have seen his pic and yes he is big.  He must truly have a problem because even under doctors supervision in the hospital, he still did not lose weight.  I don't understand what the airline did at all, because they brought him in at the same weight.

Honeygator
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

He has a hormone problem for goodness sake. My father was a pilot. Yes, an aircraft can only take on so much weight. Having personal experience with Southwest Airlines, AND I don't know this to be true,  they may have offered that overwieght person a later less crowded flight do to weight restrictions.

But the airline knows their craft's weight limits and allow so much weight per flight. It doesn't matter if 2 people together weigh 500 lbs or 1 person weighs 500lbs. It's still 500 lbs and they flew him to the US with not one mention of his weight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN