Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Some people work/shop on Thanksgiving. GET OVER IT!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies
2 moms liked this

I keep hearing from my BFF how her life sucks because she'll have to work at the big retail store she works for on Thanksgiving Day until 3 or 4 pm and how it's just so UNFAIR. Not only that but our moms are friends, too, and sat at my table going on for like an hour about how NOBODY should be working that day because nobody should be out and about and spending money anywhere but rather they should all be at home with their families.

I get that it's an important family holiday FOR SOME, but it isn't for EVERYONE, plus many people travel long distance to visit their relatives and may need to pick up some things on the way like gas, food, ice, drinks, etc., that maybe they forgot they needed to bring with them or that maybe they needed to buy when they were closer so it wouldn't melt or go bad or whatever.

Does it make you angry that people will be shopping and working on Thanksgiving Day?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I had to work on Thanksgiving before as do MANY jobs. Quit or deal. 8 hour shift will not ruin your holiday or do what we do and celebrate and eat another day. It doesn't have to be on Thursday. We travel 5 hours to visit family too. One dd stays home because she works.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM
12 moms liked this

I don't care if people are shopping, but I think it's awful that so many retail stores are opening on Thanksgiving day. Working retail during the holiday season sucks enough on it's own. It's a shit job for shit money, the least Walmart and K-Mart could do is give their part-time, minimum wage workers one day off instead of requiring them to work double time or over time because their store will be open for 48 hours straight. 

cindilou13
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM
12 moms liked this

Nope.  I think people should shut up and get over it.

Healthcare workers and emergency services...not to mention our armed forces... have always had to work holidays.   Where is the outcry over that?  There isn't any, becuase of course if someone needs that service they are darn well going to expect it to be available.  If people wouldn't shop, the stores wouldn't be open...so consumers have only themselves to blame. 

A lot of companies ask for volunteers first-I know my DH works retail and has always had to turn volunteers away because he gets more than he needs.  Either they don't celebrate or just want the extra holiday pay.   I know that isn't always the case for anyone, but still-you have a job, you work whats needed.  Deal with it.  Celebrate a diffferent day. 

With our family, it's not whether it's celebrated on a specific day-it's that you celebrate it at all, it's that you are with family and/or friends and just enjoying being together.  My Dad was with the police until his retirment this winter and I would say as a kid we celebrated more holidays on the 'wrong' day then the 'right' one. But that never made a single bit of difference, because we were together and celebrating!

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

It does not make me angry if people work or shop on Thanksgiving, but I think it is a little sad that some people are so dependant on these things that they can't go even one day without. It is really not that hard to plan ahead of time and if you forget something it is really not the end of the world to do without for one day.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I can understand and appreciate some places being open on holidays(gas stations, grocery store, drug stores, restaurants, etc).  But what gets me are the stores opening just to get a jump on the holiday shoppers.  I worked retail for many years.  The place I worked was closed for only three holidays, Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving.  Is it good that people have to work those days, not really.  But when the employees got that job, most knew that working those days were a probability.

NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

SOmeone is working somewhere all the time.  Police, fire, hospitals, hotels, gas stations..... If you dont want to work holidays get an education and a job that has holidays.  My husband works in finance and gets all the national holidays off.  

Roo1234
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  This is a diverse and 24/7 world that we live in.  We no longer close up towns on

It isn't just stores that are open...so are resturants, hospitals, tow truck drivers, police, soldiers, fire fighters, and a lot of other service providers.

The reality is that as much as people want to imagine that everyone lives the same life, believes the same things, it isn't the reality.

There is no reason to be angry.  The more important thing is to adapt and figure out how to work within the confines of the circumstances.

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I used to work on Thanksgiving when I was working in retail.  We would close early though so everyone could go home to their families.  My mom works in healthcare and for a long time, she worked almost every holiday.  The reality of it is that there are certain things that need to be open so you just work around it.  However, what I don't like is that malls and these big retail stores are now opening on Thanksgiving night (some as early as 6 pm) just so people could shop or they could try to make more money.  I don't think it is truly necessary.

LovlyRita
by Natalie on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Plenty of people work on holidays.  My brother is a police officer so for many years we had holidays on the next Saturday so he could participate.  It was never a big deal, in fact, it was sort of nice because then we could spend time with both families without that long drive between meals.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

No, to each his own ... if they want to go out and shop, so be it.  And some things have to be open, so some people have to work; then there are professions that know no holidays ... police, fire, doctors, nurses, etc.; even pastors are pretty much on call.  My husband, who works for a propane company will be on-call Thanksgiving (& he has been on-call many holidays) and will have to go out if he gets a call to go - no if, and, or buts, if someone says 'I smell gas' ... that's all they have to say & he's gone, even if we are in the middle of our dinner.  You learn to live with it.  My first husband was a cop & very often had to work many holiday.  Life does go on.  If if makes someone angry, then they have a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)