Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you go THIS far to protect your child from bullies?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM
  • 26 Replies

Plastic Surgery Is the Perfect Solution for Kids Bullied About Their Looks

by Ericka Sóuter

kid with moleOne of the biggest fears of parents with grade school children? Bullies. The thought of our little ones being mercilessly taunted and teased is too much to bear. But sadly, bullies are still very much a part of growing up no matter how many initiatives or public service campaigns we see on TV. So, it's up to us to stop it from happening. But some parents are going to extremes to protect their children from schoolyard brutes. A growing number are allowing their little kids to have plastic surgery to do away with any physical characteristics that could make them targets.

Among the most requested procedures plastic surgeons are getting: pinning back protruding ears and removing facial moles, birthmarks, or scars. One mother opted to have the birthmark on her 6-year-old daughter's face removed. Though the little girl hadn't actually been bullied yet, the mother didn't want to wait for the trouble to start. She didn't want her daughter to ever face that kind of torment.

On the outset, it seems that a decision like this sends the wrong message. I thought it was telling this child that something is wrong with her, that she needed to be "fixed." But the more I thought about it, I can't blame this mother for taking drastic action. Kids are cruel and it is heartbreaking to see your kid come home every day crying because of teasing. There are too many stories of bullied kids who take their lives or act out in violent ways. Why subject your kids to that if you can possibly help them avoid it?

I would do it for my child in a heartbeat. But I think we still have to be cautious. Too many children have body image issues or even body dysmorphic disorder. There is a thin line between a vanity issue and correcting something that will save a child from bullying. So I would never advocate getting something more extreme, like a brow lift or face lift at a young age. But if there is a scar that may eventually hurt your child's self-esteem, why not remove it?

Wric - Bullied Children Resorting to Plastic Surgery

Would you go this far to protect your child from bullies?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely wrong. I would not do it. Bullies bully for any reason anyway.
Apgsteenmommy
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM

:( That is not right...

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

In the case of the little girl with the huge mole I would remove it but I wouldn't do any other surgeries. I have a birthmark on my hand and actually had to have 3 or 4 surgeries to try and fix it. The skin was too thin so it was mostly medical skin grafts etc... but it was to an extent it couldn't be removed and the kids were just horrible about it.

wiersma98
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I don't have an issue with doing minor cosmetic things (removal of a mole especially, or pinning back ears) to improve a child's looks (and self esteem!)    It doesn't have to have anything to do with bullying -- MANY kids have these minor procedures done.   My daughter had a raised mole (the size of a pencil eraser) on her nose that she begged to have removed for a few months.   10 minutes and 2 stitches later, it was gone.   MUCH happier kid.

But I'm not sure why the author of this article mentions "brow lift or face lift...." -- NO plastic surgeon would do these things on a child, because they're not necessary.   They're issues that come with AGING.   And they are not even CLOSE in comparison to mole removal.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Yes, in a heartbeat I would do what I could to prevent any heartache that I could.

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Plastic Surgery Is the Perfect Solution for Kids Bullied About Their Looks

by Ericka Sóuter

kid with moleOne of the biggest fears of parents with grade school children? Bullies.
The thought of our little ones being mercilessly taunted and teased is
too much to bear. But sadly, bullies are still very much a part of
growing up no matter how many initiatives or public service campaigns we
see on TV. So, it's up to us to stop it from happening. But some
parents are going to extremes to protect their children from schoolyard
brutes. A growing number are allowing their little kids to have plastic surgery to do away with any physical characteristics that could make them targets.

Among
the most requested procedures plastic surgeons are getting: pinning
back protruding ears and removing facial moles, birthmarks, or scars.
One mother opted to have the birthmark on her 6-year-old daughter's face
removed. Though the little girl hadn't actually been bullied yet, the mother didn't want to wait for the trouble to start. She didn't want her daughter to ever face that kind of torment.

On the outset, it seems that a decision like this sends the wrong
message. I thought it was telling this child that something is wrong
with her, that she needed to be "fixed." But the more I thought about
it, I can't blame this mother for taking drastic action. Kids are cruel
and it is heartbreaking to see your kid come home every day crying
because of teasing. There are too many stories of bullied kids who take their lives or act out in violent ways. Why subject your kids to that if you can possibly help them avoid it?

I would do it for my child in a heartbeat. But I think we still have
to be cautious. Too many children have body image issues or even body
dysmorphic disorder. There is a thin line between a vanity issue and
correcting something that will save a child from bullying. So I would
never advocate getting something more extreme, like a brow lift or face
lift at a young age. But if there is a scar that may eventually hurt
your child's self-esteem, why not remove it?

Wric - Bullied Children Resorting to Plastic Surgery

Would you go this far to protect your child from bullies?

webgirl8369
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Ear pinning and mole removal seem pretty harmless to me. I would be super concerned if they were making changes to parts of the body that would reshape over time. (Nose job, breast augmentation at an early age, lipo, etc.) 

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

No I would not

jeda1429
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

If they had something super obvious like a giant mole  I would wait until they were old enough and ask them if they wanted it removed. In my opinion that's no different than getting braces. But I would do it because my child wanted it done, not because of what others might think.

instant
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I would remove a large birthmark or mole.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM

When I was little I dove to the bottom of the pool in a way that I landed on my nose, I had a cute nose until that day, I ended up with a deviated septum and couldn't breath through my mouth.

I had my nose job only 2 months before my 18th birthday, I was still in HS.  Back then Doctors (good decent doctors) only performed that kind of surgery when you were no less than 6 months before your 18th b-day otherwise is pointless since bone structure keeps changing until you are 18th.

That's what I was told.

I was luck I was not bullied because of that, people tried to bully me when I had a Millwakee vest, but I was tough and got everybody suspended :0)  I am a strong person.

and I agree with you.

Quoting webgirl8369:

Ear pinning and mole removal seem pretty harmless to me. I would be super concerned if they were making changes to parts of the body that would reshape over time. (Nose job, breast augmentation at an early age, lipo, etc.) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)