Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is 12 too young for dyed hair?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My daughter has been begging to dye hair, something like this:

Anyway, I've seen other kids at the school with this ombre style, but the colored portion may be purple, blue, green, or other colors besides the pink shown here, and I think it looks cute. It's not against the school's dress code or anything, either, so I'm willing to let her but my husband says she's too young. Do you think 12 is too young? She'll be 13 next month.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Yes. Made mine wait till 16.
TatyBear
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Fine.
I've been letting my 11 yr old dye her hair since she turned 8.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I wouldnt let my daughter ruin her hair like that.... so yeah too young
ZJC
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I thinks that's too young. Hair dye has some really strong chemicals that not only damage your hair but your scalp and you can't grow out your scalp. This could be damaging in the long and there have been studies on the negative effects of it. I just don't think it's something she should be worrying about at this age, maybe in a few more years about 16 probably.
fudgybuddymom
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:52 AM

No I don't. When my daughter was 10 she asked if she could dye her hair blonde so I let her. She dyed it that way for about a yr & a half & then when she was 13 she dyed it red-burgundy & brown. I didn't think that was too young cause to me it was a self esteem issue. She doesn't dye it now but I would let her if she wanted to but I caution her about going too crazy cause she'll regret it.

bzyblondmomof5
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM

its just hair. i have done my girls. 10 & 8 as young as 5. washout stuff. i think its cute.

mommamomma28
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I started dying my hair around that age. I'm 29 now, I'm not saying I regret doing it but it does damage your hair and I just wish I hadn't touched it until later. Maybe try some wash out colors or something. Those are cool and then she can change it up more often!!
MSLADYCLASS
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I actually just had this discussion with my 13y/o daughter the other day.  She asked me if she could dye her hair and I told her "when you're 18 and an adult you can do what you choose to your hair.  Until then it will stay natural."  I have never dyed my hair even as a person in my 20's and 30's.  I am now 41 (about to be 42) and see no reason to.  I have a good gray streak going on and am proud of it.  This is me.  Take it or leave it.  Now don't get me wrong I don't knock anyone who does dye their hair because it makes them feel beautiful or whatever their reasoning is to do it.  I just choose not to and really hope my children don't as well.  They are beautiful just as they are and I want others to know that about them as well.  

itsmesteph11
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Permanant? Absolutely. Dying your hair ruins it.  Wash out? Possibly. 

dorfmama
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM
My daughter did that with kool aid last year when she was 13. It was super cute!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)