Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is 12 too young for dyed hair?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My daughter has been begging to dye hair, something like this:

Anyway, I've seen other kids at the school with this ombre style, but the colored portion may be purple, blue, green, or other colors besides the pink shown here, and I think it looks cute. It's not against the school's dress code or anything, either, so I'm willing to let her but my husband says she's too young. Do you think 12 is too young? She'll be 13 next month.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Can beg all they want. Answer is no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
believer_57
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I don't think so. Tell your husband it's just hair, and it will grow out, or get a non-premenent one.
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I say its too young

Shermy
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM
To me I think 12 is too you g for extensive hair treatments. Since it wouldn't be a dye and leave it kinda deal, there would most likely need to be corrective work later (I assume) I would say she is too young. But that might just be me.
MSJAP2010
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I think that is a really neat idea. I think as long as it isn't against school policy, I say go for it!!

Quoting ZamilyMom:

I don't think she's too young to dye her hair as long as she doesn't use a permanent dye.  But as she's going to officially be a teenager next month, maybe you could use the hair color to make a big deal of the occasion.  Have a mother/daughter thing to celebrate her being a teenager and dye it then.  It will be a "rite of passage of sorts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Hair grows. I'd let my girls dye their hair as long as they earned it by being responsible and all that. I'd maybe save it for the big 13 tho. Make it special. And upkeep could get pricey... I'm excited to treat them to the salon for birthdays and special occasions someday... My hubby wouldn't like it either tho. The only way I'd convince him would be to make a trade regarding a big decision... Like let him have the final say-so about something like outfits or piercings. Maybe *let* is the wrong word...compromise.
:-)
Cute style!
pseudomamma
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I wouldn't.  12 is the beginning of that rough age.  IMHO....it's hard enough to go through the next few years adjusting to your changes.  My thoughts are get used to how you are before changing.   But, I'm old fashioned.

cindilou13
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

i think too young.  Kids, esp. girls, need to get comfortable with themselves before they start trying to look a different way with things like hair dye.  Teach her that her hair is awesome the way it is, maybe get a new style if she wants a change.

brittybby2010
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I'd let her. If it'll be done at home, I recommend getting manic panic hair dye after lightening the ends. I'd use a mix of conditioner/dye to lighten it up =] it's vegan and makes hair feel amazing. 

precious54
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM

yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)