Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is 12 too young for dyed hair?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My daughter has been begging to dye hair, something like this:

Anyway, I've seen other kids at the school with this ombre style, but the colored portion may be purple, blue, green, or other colors besides the pink shown here, and I think it looks cute. It's not against the school's dress code or anything, either, so I'm willing to let her but my husband says she's too young. Do you think 12 is too young? She'll be 13 next month.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
MommaLove80
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I have an 11 year old and I don't allow it simply because kids these days are too busy trying to look grown up when they should just be kids like we once were...I told my daughter no make-up or hair dye until she turns 16
KyliesMom5
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM
My daughter just had her hair hilighted and she is 11.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM

If it were a temporary dye that washes out and used just for "special" reasons, like a party, etc. I think it would be fine. But I think she's to young to start experimenting with anything permanent. What happens if she doesn't like it? Or wants to change it again? It can lead to a lot of hair damamge. You're lucky her schools allow it, here it has to be "naturally ocurring." I didn't start coloring my hair until I was 18.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM
My mom used to let me experiment with my hair at that age. I could only use temporary dyes, until I really got the hang of it. I had a different hair color every other week. My mom would tell me I better get used to dying my hair cause I'd be grey by the time I was thirty. She was right :(
My mom wouldn't have paid for it to be done in a salon, she would have made me use my allowance.
readyforhim
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM

i think it is, her hair will get messed up.  My friends daughter had beautiful thick black hair she died reddish pink, horrendous, and she had to flat iron it because it wouldn't stay flat after blowdrying it.  

sunflower37
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I think that's a bit too young for hair dying.

divinedimension
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure. I think maybe a more natural color then yeah, I'd let her do it. But that one, no. JMHO.

Jesslynne_81
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:04 AM

No, I don't think it's too young. I have an 8 year old daughter and while I wouldn't take her to get her hair colored with permanent dye, I would probably get her the Hair Huez hair chalk and let her go nuts with it. If she wanted a rainbow on her head I'd be just fine with that, lol.

Devious333
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:06 AM
I don't see the big deal. It's just hair. I wish my parents would have let me dye my hair when I was younger so I could have had crazy colors before I started working.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
srm8824
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I don't think she's too young for semi-permanent dye such as manic panic. I wouldn't do permanent dye or all over color on a kid that young because of the up-keep on it.

Otherwise, I think manic panic coloring is fine. It comes out and 6-8 weeks and if she wants to do it again then she could.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)