Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is 12 too young for dyed hair?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My daughter has been begging to dye hair, something like this:

Anyway, I've seen other kids at the school with this ombre style, but the colored portion may be purple, blue, green, or other colors besides the pink shown here, and I think it looks cute. It's not against the school's dress code or anything, either, so I'm willing to let her but my husband says she's too young. Do you think 12 is too young? She'll be 13 next month.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (41-49):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM
It's too young, teach her to be a leader and not a follower. It's going to change her hair that is going to be broken down by some very harmful chemicals. There is hair color that washes out and no serious side effects or committments.
tardiskitty
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM
My DD has a 10 yr old friend with dyed hair. No biggie, as soon as you make something "taboo" it just increases desire for it. Tell me I'm not allowed to do something and it makes me want to haha
cakbr
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I truly don't care. (:

We have only used the wash out stuff now.... But my 6 yr old DD wants pink hi Lites and I am considering it.

*save the drama if you don't agree with me, its MY child* ((:
Grammy121011
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I have 2 grown girls. I can say that makes them look older than her age. To me, if they look older with the way the world is today. Men would possibly make moves on them as they would Women, or a different way to make them feel special. The age 12 is way too young for that in my opinion.
Schools are so much different today. Just think back when you were that age, and pray about it, you will get your answer.
Perle1
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM

My SD dyed hers around 14. We did pink tips (w both parents permission). It's just hair, and it grows out. The only damage is to already grown hair. It has no bearing about how well hair will grow in the future. I've been getting foil highlights for 20 years and my hair looks great :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2013 at 1:39 AM

i started coloring my hair at 14, highlights and other colors.  I had my hair purple at 16.. i don't think 12 is too young.  we got dd those hot hues for her birthday and she is 8

emommy24811
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Ask your husband to let her use something temporary, on a small portion of her hair. Once he gets used to it, he might warm up to the idea. That is a cute style.

mgm_5
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM
My parents made me wait till i can pay for it to be done on my own, i will do the same... I will not ruin my child's hair since that is what hair dye does... If they want to ruin it themselves that's on them
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I think that's a fine age if you feel it's appropriate.

I hate funky colored hair so my daughter won't be allowed to do anything like that until she can pay for it herself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)