Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would be your reaction?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

My DD goes to a private Montessori which is not afiliated to any religion.

The other day I was talking to some of the moms and one said that her dd was with a family member who is very religious and her dd said she came from a monkey, th mom asked her questions and figured out they had talked to the kids about evolution, her relative was freaking out.

This mom told us she was not too happy with the school telling them about that since they are too little and do not understand.

My DD asked me if she was born in Africa and then move here, I said no, you were born here, then she asked if I was born in Africa and then moved here (she knows I was born in South America) I said no.

Then I tried to explain at her level about humans evolving from a very small form of life, and humans coming in the world when the continents were still one mass of land and etc, she was happy with my answer and moved on.

I personally think is great they are learning all this things and gives me oportunities to help further my DD's education; but this other mom was not happy with it.

How would you react to this situation if yous school talked about evolution.

Ps. we are not religious

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I would ask that they inform me when teaching evolution and I'd keep my little ones home that day. Its a topic meant for older kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I would be fine with it. We're not religious; we believe in Science.
wickedfiress
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be upset if they weren't learning science based facts about the world.
Holly-Kathleen
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe in science, too; I would have no problem with it. I want my kids to learn about evolution.
famiglia_bella
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Science is awesome.  I'd appreciate such an early introduction.

catherine_b
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I think curiosity is a sign of intelligence. Good your girl is asking you questions :)

Therefore, I think people who swallow the story adam and eve sharing an apple and populating the earth totally stupid. I mean, come on!

Gotta give props to school for informing our kids correctly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Personally I don't think evolution or creationism should be taught in school unless they are going to teach both.

srehman
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I am curious as to know how they can teach both? One science has mostly pure facts where most things are black and white. There are a lot of religions that teach different things. So how would they incorporate that into the system without offending anyone?
Either way someone will be offended z it doesn't take much anymore. My opinion is science is science, needs to be taught at school. Religion needs to be enforced at home. There's just to much controversy in religion. Everyone knows it was Darwin who brought evolution and every religion believes it was their Prophet who brought the true word of God.
Just curious.

Quoting Anonymous:

Personally I don't think evolution or creationism should be taught in school unless they are going to teach both.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Then they shouldn't teach evolution in school. I do not want my children learning about evolution. Of course I don't need to worry about it, my children have never stepped foot in a school building and never will.

Quoting srehman:

I am curious as to know how they can teach both? One science has mostly pure facts where most things are black and white. There are a lot of religions that teach different things. So how would they incorporate that into the system without offending anyone?
Either way someone will be offended z it doesn't take much anymore. My opinion is science is science, needs to be taught at school. Religion needs to be enforced at home. There's just to much controversy in religion. Everyone knows it was Darwin who brought evolution and every religion believes it was their Prophet who brought the true word of God.
Just curious.

Quoting Anonymous:

srehman
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM
You didn't answer to how they could incorporate that teaching into the schools though.
I know a lot of people who homeschool so good for you too!
I don't have a problem with them learning about science in school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then they shouldn't teach evolution in school. I do not want my children learning about evolution. Of course I don't need to worry about it, my children have never stepped foot in a school building and never will.

Quoting srehman:

Just curious.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)