Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Too Young For Make-up?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM
  • 70 Replies
1 mom liked this
After reading the post from a fellow mom about hair dye it got me wondering how you ladies feel about make-up...
What ages would you allow your daughters to wear make-up? How much make-up?
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
6th grade a little eye and lip. I even started then back in the 70's with conservative parents. We had the bright blue eye shadow, lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Middle school, and minimal, a little lipcolor, a hint done to eyes and cheeks is all that's necessary. She can sparkle it up a bit for parties, etc. for a "special treat." But that's all I'd allow every day. I started sneaking a friends mascara at 14 and got caught because I forgot to take it off before going home for the day. But my Mom didn't mind, and let me buy my own. Joke was on me, all I would have had to do was ask.

tcfla
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM

middle school

AlilKittyKat
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I allowed my daughter to wear a little eye makeup when she got to middle school (6th grade).  Funny enough, since it was allowed she didn't really care as much and hardly wore it.  Now she's in High School and only wears mascara and not all the time. 

bikrck
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I am going to make my daughter wait till she is 12.   I think just a little makeup is fine...nothing to heavy.   Right now she can wear lip gloss.   I do let her play with makeup and try different looks while she is at home or with her friends but no make up to school...

sashamom27159
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I know i am going to get bashed but my dd is three going on 4 and i will do her make up for special parties and pictures nothing crazy or dark and i think like 4th or 5th grade for her to wear all the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bzyblondmomof5
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

my 10 yo wears make up on weekends and dressup occasions. a lil lipstick/gloss blush and shadow. no liners or mascara or foundation. just enough as an incentive to keep up hygeine. she enjoys it and she is a girly girl.

dalbax2
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I started about 14 and so did my DD's.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM

High school. Special occasions in middle school, not daily.

cindilou13
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

DD6 loves to 'play' with makeup right now.  She will ask me to use my real makeup sometimes...on the weekends or a special occasion I'll swipe my blush brush on her cheeks, sweep my eyeshadow brush on her eyelids, and add a very light coat of mascara and lip gloss.  With the brushes, I don't even dip in the color but she doesn't realize it lol.  I can't even see it except that her lashes look darker, but she loves it.

As far as daily wear, I would let her wear a minimal amount in junior high, and more if she wanted for special occasions.  Several have mentioned no eye liner and mascara, but I have always worn a 'full eye' look since I started wearing makeup, becuase I always felt my eyes were my best feature.  So I would have trouble telling her she couldn't do so as well in a situationally appropriate manner.

Many girls in my school, myself included, were wearing lipgloss and some cheek/eye color in 5th grade, and pretty much everyone who was interested in doing so in junior high.  Actually saw less wearing it daily in high school than in junior high lol, must have been a puberty phase.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)