Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

? about social security benefits for children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
My dd father has applied for his social security. He said I should receive a letter in the mail letting me know how much she will get if he gets approved, however everyone else is telling me I will have to go down and apply for her to get benefits from him. Does anyone know which is correct?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are separated/divorced, and she is underage and would normally recieve child support, she will recieve it from SS. And it's usually a much higher amount. You don't have to apply, on his paperwork it asks if he has any eligable children.

Kitty_Myrick
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM

She's right you only would have to apply if he wasn't living.

pumpkin pie

Quoting EireLass:

If you are separated/divorced, and she is underage and would normally recieve child support, she will recieve it from SS. And it's usually a much higher amount. You don't have to apply, on his paperwork it asks if he has any eligable children.

Angeleyez81
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM
When my Dh started receiving disability ss, about 4months later we received a letter in the mail stating for us to come in and file for our dd's to get a monthly check
mollgirl59
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:20 AM

Just list the child as the beneficiary. You will have to be the payee though. We never had a problem when we did this years ago.

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I believe you have to go down or apply for her on-line. I had to for my daughter after her father died.

sirkokobean
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

you have to apply for aid to dependent children or you get nothing, but child support can be taken out of hin SS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM
We were never married, we had an affair. She is on child support but he doesn't make payments. I talked to his wife today and she said they received another letter saying that each child will be receiving between $200/$300 a month plus a check for back pay from last August. They said they put her down on the application, we went to court and done a dna test last year, Idk if that will make a difference as to how she gets her benefits or not though.
Concerned4KidZ
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I've known several parents with custody recently required in face visit to secure SS payments.

Quoting Angeleyez81:

When my Dh started receiving disability ss, about 4months later we received a letter in the mail stating for us to come in and file for our dd's to get a monthly check

Sunshine2plus2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I received SS when my dad became disabled. It was very little amt though. When he passed away I received alot until I was 18.

Angeleyez81
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Yep, Dh and I went in and filed, I'm the rep for our girls. It's been a blessing to have that money for my kids needs or wants.

Quoting Concerned4KidZ:

I've known several parents with custody recently required in face visit to secure SS payments.

Quoting Angeleyez81:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)