Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What to do for molluscum contagiousum for my toddler?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

My 3.5 yr old has had this molluscum contagiousum for 10 months now.  His MD says there's nothing they can do for it other than freeze them off which may not work and is very painful. So she just recommended waiting till it goes away. The bumps on his skin just seem to be increasing in number, not showing signs of going away. (It's supposed to go away after 9 months to a year).  I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and knows of something over-the-counter or herbal that has worked for them? Seems like there should be a faster cure than just waiting this out.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Rbrown72707
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM

No clue but here's a bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Peditricians believe it letting it run it's course, which I despise as this keeps up the spread of it. Dermatologist believe in removing. Freezing off isn't the only option. They have cup  like knife that they spoon them off with too. Either way, they need to be covered in clothing or with a bandaid. For us, I found using a sterile needle to break it open, then cleaning, applying neosporin and keeping under band aid until it disappeared worked well. My kids had them removed by both dermatologist and my way, and asked for me to remove them when others appeared. You should scrub your tub, clean all the toys and never reuse towels, etc while this is going on. 

Annsf
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Go to some well-known medical websites. Mayoclinic.com is a favorite. Others are webmd.com and right diagnosis.com. Also itriage.com which even has an ap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollymae09
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Ask about Aldara. It's a topical cream that makes the immune system go into overdrive. Generic name is Imiquimod. It is SUPER expensive though, so make sure your medical insurance covers it. My sons dose was 200 for two weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Annsf
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Found some choices of meds on mayoclinic.com. It is the best
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)