Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

before I kill myself - HELP ME!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

I have a 3 and almost 5 year old.  They WILL NOT SLEEP It has been like this their whole lives and I am at the end of the rope.  They have no trouble going to bed at night - but WILL NOT STAY ASLEEP.  My youngest got up this morning at 4 AM!!! She will not nap today either.  She has bags under her eyes for God's sake!!!   Why won't she SLEEP!!! 

I have t keep going up there to put her to bed.  I am going to LOSE MY MIND!!!  I have absolutley no me time and get about 4 hours of sleep at night for the last almost 5 years !!!  PLEASE how do I KEEP them asleep. 

Are there any foods that will make them sleepy I can give them at 2 AM !!!  I am going nuts!!!!  LITERALLY!! 

Before anyone says it I will answer - I HAVE NO FAMILY NEAR.  Every time I say I am going nuts I get it's normal, etc.  I cannot take it anymore.  PLEASE I feel like I have girls from the movie The Ring. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wingsfan1234
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM
good luck! i feel for you my 5 yr old is the exact same way
bikrck
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My daughter did not sleep through the night for years, she is 11 now and is still like me, we suffer from severe insomonia.   I took her to the Dr when she was three and he said a few nights a week give them a dose of benedryl.   Just the proper amount.   It will help them sleep and wont hurt them.   I did work and it helped alot, now when I know its been a few days and she can sleep in on the weekend or has no school I let her take one tynolel pm.   Also, melotonin works great as well, its a natural sleep aid.   (Please ignore the spelling, rough day between my s/o and ex husband)  I am a bit emotional.   Good Luck and hang in there.  

Serena1982
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I have strict routines for naptime and bedtime. Bath, stories, black-out curtains for naptime. Background noise like a fan or air filter. Also, no junk food or juice before bed or nap. Just milk and water depending on the time of day. I know kids seem to already exercise constantly, but REALLY wipe them out during certain times of the day. Not too close to sleep time or they just stay rowdy. I know this is all easier to write about than actually doing (especially when you are dying from sleep deprivation) I'm not perfectly consistent with my own toddlers. But when I am- it's better. Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Sorry you are having a rough day too.  Seems to be going around today (I have some friends who are having a bad day too)  hope your day gets better!!!

Quoting bikrck:

My daughter did not sleep through the night for years, she is 11 now and is still like me, we suffer from severe insomonia.   I took her to the Dr when she was three and he said a few nights a week give them a dose of benedryl.   Just the proper amount.   It will help them sleep and wont hurt them.   I did work and it helped alot, now when I know its been a few days and she can sleep in on the weekend or has no school I let her take one tynolel pm.   Also, melotonin works great as well, its a natural sleep aid.   (Please ignore the spelling, rough day between my s/o and ex husband)  I am a bit emotional.   Good Luck and hang in there.  

bikrck
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Must be the weather...It happens...I am going to grin at both of them have a good stiff drink, hot shower and go to bed.   They will get over it.   

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry you are having a rough day too.  Seems to be going around today (I have some friends who are having a bad day too)  hope your day gets better!!!

Quoting bikrck:

allycally
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM
My kiddos take melantonin nightly if not they would be up until 2/3 am..5 mg dissolvable tabs...they work wonders
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Is that dose ok for a 3 and 5 year old?  Do you know.  doctors have just told me to lock them in their room in the morning - literally.  I don't like that idea, and even if I did they would bother me with the banging on the door and what not. 

Quoting allycally:

My kiddos take melantonin nightly if not they would be up until 2/3 am..5 mg dissolvable tabs...they work wonders

Light.Shine
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I would make an appointment with their pediatrician and find out what's going on b/c that is NOT normal.  They need good sleep at night and you do, too.  

allycally
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM
It honestly depends on the kid... Ds 5 started with half the 5mg tab but it didn't work so he takes the whole one.Ds 9 takes half.. I can't tell you the right dose for ur children.. you can call their Dr.or look up dosings online

Quoting Anonymous:

Is that dose ok for a 3 and 5 year old?  Do you know.  doctors have just told me to lock them in their room in the morning - literally.  I don't like that idea, and even if I did they would bother me with the banging on the door and what not. 

Quoting allycally:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
The body has the hormone melatonin already. But that doesn't mean its all in order. Adding melatonin.....it is not a sleeping pill.....it helps regulate the exsisting melatonin in the body. It regulates their sleep cycle. You have to set a regular schedule for bedtime every night, with this given about an hour prior. Because its not a sleeping pill, for some people it takes a few days of accumulation. There may also be some dietary changes you could make too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)