Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Stranger Pays for Groceries for 10 People - Has anyone ever done something really kind for you?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 10 Replies

Stranger Generously Pays for Groceries for the 10 People Behind Him In Line

by Michele Zipp

grocery storeWe all talk about 'tis the season and good will toward men and doing good deeds, and many of us do them -- big and small -- and every one makes a difference. Kindness can be catching and that is evidenced when a clothing company generously decided to clothe the homeless after seeing the homeless U.S. Veteran's time lapse makeover video. They then unexpectedly helped even more when they met a man who was trying to get home to his family in the Czech Republic. They booked him a one-way flight.

What an amazing gesture of kindness. Another man caught the kindness bug and while on line checking out his groceries, he decided to pay for the next 10 customers in line as well.

This random act of kindness happened in Houston area grocery store HEB off Highway 59 and Grand Parkway. The man, who has not been identified, told the cashier he wanted to pay for the next 10 customer's groceries.

Destinie Rodgers was one of the workers there and she said she had never seen anything like this. "When one of the ladies started crying, I got a little teary eyed. I thought, 'Oh my God, this is real. He's really doing this.' It was so nice."

Costumer Lauren Tucker was one of the lucky ones who had her groceries paid for. She at first felt guilty for accepting it, but then realized the message. She said, "we need to be kind to everybody" and not just on Thanksgiving. The man ended up spending about $1000 for his kindness that no doubt touched the lives of each of those 10 people, who will go on to tell the story to their families, and who will probably end up paying it forward. 

I just want to say thank you to this kind stranger. Thank you to the person who held the door open for me at the store the other day. Thank you to the lady who alerted me my sunglasses fell out of my pocket and picked them up and returned them to me. Thank you for all the kindness -- I will definitely return the favor by carrying that mindset on.

Share your stories of kindness you've received from strangers. Has anyone ever done something really kind for you?

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM
What an amazing story. When so many people struggle to buy groceries it's great that someone did this.
One day I went out with my client to a Chinese restaurant and at the end we were told someone paid for our meal. I was shocked because he was getting his bill as we walked in.
photomom1979
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM
The last three times my daughter has went to Starbucks the person in front of her has paid for her order:-)
bhow
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I was behind a woman and teenage boy in Kmart last Easter.  I could see they were deciding what to put back for lack of money.

I moved ahead, put my hand on ladies arm, nicely, asked them if lack of cash was the problem, they simply shook their heads with a bit of shame, I looked at the cashier and said, put it all through, bag it and let them leave I will pay for it.  Walked back to my cart and watched the young man leave in amazement.  The lady tried to tell me no and I wouldn't back down.  She said well thank you kind lady and tried not to cry, we all did.  It was one of the best feelings ever and I would do it again tomorrow.

She had little girl items and candy and what ever else...I could not let her leave without EASTER.

precious54
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM

awesome story

this has happen to me before and the feeling you get is very good. I have helped people since this was done for me. Made me feel good

mjmorrison
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM

We live at the jersey shore, right in hurricane sandy's impact zone, no power flooded homes and people coming by with hot meals and the "how can we help attitude". so not the normal me first attitude.

nussknacker
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Had a couple pay for my meal at a restaurant because I was alone, and looked "lonely". They had already left when the waitress told me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2013 at 4:01 AM

yes they have

I was 6 months pregnant and down in a different state, i went to go see my husband before he left to deploy.  I was at the gas station and had filled my car up with gas and was getting stuff for the road, i was on the phone with my mom while in the store and i was crying about him leaving and the gas station wouldn't accept checks so i had to leave to go to an ATM machine across the street (the gas stations ATM machine wasn't working), when i got back with the cash i found out someone had paid for my purchases there.  I dont know if they had heard me on the phone or not but i was truely grateful for that person that day, they gave me a happy moment in a day filled with sadness 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
When I was a little kid, my dad dad took us to a fair. My sister and I wanted a pony ride. There was a family behind us in line and their dad was explaining to the kids that they didn't have enough money for a ride but they could watch the other kids. My dad heard that and handed me a $20 dollar bill and asked me to hurry up and return it to the family that dropped it. I'm not sure if the other dad was aware of what my dad did. I remember he was hesitant to take it but very grateful. And his kids got to go on rides and play games.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I always have given away my sons toys and clothing he has outgrown ( some still with tags on) to families that need it! Anymore all I see is people selling them on yard sale sites and ebay! I think man I could have made a bunch of money; however, I know I helped in a good way and that is way more rewarding than the money I could have gotten!

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:16 AM
No. Its ok! :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)