Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Imposing your view of your kids........

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM
  • 18 Replies

So, is it right to impose your views on your kids? For example, I dont believe in the circus or in dog shows or anything else that exploits animals. I dont think that a human has the right to capture an animal or enslave him for entertainment and/or profit. IMO, it's no different then what was done to the slaves hundreds of year ago. Are the animals happy dancing around for our amusement? But, since becoming a parent I do take my kids to the circus. Just because I dont particularly care for the circus I am not going to the deprive my kids of the experience. what is your opinion on this? Do you raise you kids to believe in what you believe in or can they have their opinion?

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM
4 moms liked this
I raised my kids with my opinions, and when they were older they were free to choose their own.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM
We all impose our views but when they are older we need to let them do whatever.
jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM
3 moms liked this

It is part of your job as a mother to teach your children values.  If you take your children to the circus, you can use the experience to teach tehm your values regarding animal acts.  After the show, while you are all together you open the conversation with "Do you think the animals were treated well?  Did they seem happy to you?"  Then allow your children to give their opinions, follow with explaining what YOU think.  Discussion is always good.

Mommabird123
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I want my kids to think for themselves.  That doesn't mean I don't share my opinions or try to influence theirs.  I also won't compromise my beliefs/feelings just to give the kids an "experience."  I worked as a zookeeper before my kids were born and I have very,very strong feelings about the way animals are kept.  There are a lot of places I won't go.  I refuse to give those places my money and I don't think it would do my children or the world any good to desensitize them to cruelty and inhumane treatment.   On the other hand I wouldn't stop my kids from going if they had the opportunity to go with someone else and wanted to go.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I impose my views on my kids and when they get older they can think for themselves

monkeymommy1
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I teach them my opinion but also teach them to have and form their own opinions.

Paigesmommy78
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Teach them my views opinions and teach them they can form their own opinions as well but I have to add I guess I deprive my DD bc I'm never going to take her to the circus but I don't care if someone else wants to take but I won't be the one to do it I don't like circus for many reasons
storkradio193
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

We, as parents, have values that we have come to believe and I don't see anything wrong with raising our children with our values.  

1frog
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM

We taught ds our views, they need guidance.. We had always taught him to think independently, but we did things from our viewpoint. As he grew we would ask his opinion on things, and taught him it was OK to think differently on a subject than we did.

Howardx5
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Depends on what it is. If its something I feel strongly about and feel like we could make a real difference (volunteering, recycling, anti animal cruelty...) then yes. I tell her this is what is right. This is what is wrong. Here are some ways we can be helpful in those areas. When she gets older if she decides to believe differently, and doesnt think recycling (for example) is important then thats fine. Shes entitled to have her own mind. 

My daughter fully belives in God. Wants to go to Church. All of that. Im on the fence about it. I believe but I have doubts. I don't tell her she cant believe and I dont give her reasons not to believe. I encourage her to explore whatever religion interests her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN