Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son may need to repeat Kindergarten? :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

My 5 year old is a young 5 and is struggling in all day Kindergarten academically. My older boys always did well but he's developmentally young. His teacher even said it's too early to tell but there's a chance he may need to repeat Kindergarten. I'd feel really badly if that happens....He really needed an extra year of preschool but we couldn't afford the $600/month this year. I left the conference feeing depressed....although I know all kids catch up eventually.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orchardmoma
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Are you doing extra activities with him at home? What exactly is he behind in? 

anotherguatmom
by New Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM

It's better to hold him back this year.  If you don't he will continue to struggle and then at a later date be held back.  My dh and I we're both held back in kindergarten and we've turned into successful people.  Also, I would be up front with him and say that you are considering holding him back to help him out next year.  Don't wait to tell him.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM
His letter sounds, recognizing all the letters and numbers from 13 up and more. I do work with him at home but need to start doing more.

Quoting orchardmoma:

Are you doing extra activities with him at home? What exactly is he behind in? 

iHEAVENn
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Just hold him back this year, yeah it will suck for you, but it will be better for him in the long run.  

amber3902
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I agree with everyone else, it is better to hold him back at kindergarten than for him to struggle and have to repeat a later grade.

Not only was my daughter developmentally delayed, but her birthday was in August, making her one of the youngest kids in her class.  They mentioned holding her back a year and at the time I thought it was the worst thing in the world to do.  I got her a tutor and worked every night with her to get her on grade level.   

She's in high school now and doing fine now, but she definately could have benefited from repeating the first year of school.  She's also emotionally less mature than other kids her age.

lucysmommy69
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM

im kinda on the fence like this myself.  my boy turned 5 a few weeks after he started and had a rocky start.  hes smart, but if he has free time, he can sometimes get into trouble.  hes settled down into a routine now i think so i hope he wont have to be held back. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Work with him and try get him caught up. Kindergarten expects so much from them with a little extra help he'll catch up.
frankiesma530
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Just work with him as much as you can, mama.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
The best year to be held back. Is he a young kindergartener??? I would have held him back a year already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erin708
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Better to hold him back now. My dd is in 2nd and is struggling. She's young for her grade too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)