Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

some people shouldnt have kids!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

OK so I know thats a harsh statement but its true! If your not going to put the time and energy into educating your child then you shouldnt have kids! My hubby's son is going to be 6 years old next month and can say only part of his ABC's, but he cant look at a letter and tell you what it is, he can count only to 14 then starts skipping numbers, he can barely write his name, he has to be shown what the letter looks like before he writes it in his name. When I met him 2 years ago (he was 4) he didnt know his shapes, colors, or anything like that, so I started working with him, after 5 mins he would get frustrated and refused to try, and I would get on hubby about working with him and he would always tell me that is what school is for, thats what school will teach him...ummmm...no...my kids were able to say their abc's, write their names, knew their shapes and colors, and count to 100 by the time they were 3 years old. And both of my boys are straight A students in school. His son is now doing very poorly in kindergarten, their grading scale is 1, 2, 3 or 4, 1 being the worst (seldomly meets expectations) and 4 being the best, he is getting almost all 1's. So now hubby is concerned and wants to buy him educational stuff for xmas, well one thing i'm getting my boys is the tabeo, kids tablet. hubby said he wants to get one for his son too and put educational apps on it and a couple normal games, I told him a leappad tablet would be better because all hes going to want to do is play the games rather then the educational stuff on the tabeo, where as the leappad is all educational. well he says i'm wrong for this and i just dont want to see his son have as nice of things as my boys. but its not that at all, i want to see his son succeed in school and do better, I dont want to see him doing poorly or even fail kindergarten! I just feel like anything I say or any opinion I have that he thinks i'm wrong or I have something against his son. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Many shouldn't have kids.
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM
It's very sad when parents take no interest in their children. I'm not saying we should all have classrooms and chalkboards in our homes but geez take 10 min a day and teach your kid something, interact with them. Our son knew his abcs, numbers, shapes and colors well before pre school and is now reading at 5 yrs old.
A lot of kids here in my sons kindergarten class can barely speak clearly and I'd venture to say it's not anything more than them not getting any attention from their parents. I can't say that for sure but I see how a lot of parents are with their kids around here, small town makes it easier to notice things.
Anyway you are right.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM

thank you and I agree, I see alot of kids as well that can barely speak clearly, and sadly my hubby's son is one of them, he sounds more like a 3 year old rather then a 6 year old...and i'm not putting him down at all because i love him to death like he is my own, I'm putting his parents down for not working with him! 

Quoting momofthem311: It's very sad when parents take no interest in their children. I'm not saying we should all have classrooms and chalkboards in our homes but geez take 10 min a day and teach your kid something, interact with them. Our son knew his abcs, numbers, shapes and colors well before pre school and is now reading at 5 yrs old.
A lot of kids here in my sons kindergarten class can barely speak clearly and I'd venture to say it's not anything more than them not getting any attention from their parents. I can't say that for sure but I see how a lot of parents are with their kids around here, small town makes it easier to notice things.
Anyway you are right.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

BUMP!

srehman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM
So, to keep from arguing get him the same as your boys and when he doesn't do like he should you can tell his dad I told you. Now you handle it.
It's harsh to be that way, but if he doesn't realize that, that is going to happen then live and learn. But you also have the option of not putting any other games until he has been successful in school. Just a suggestion. (We do with dd galaxy tablet). Good luck!
And btw I don't think it sounds like you are favoring it sounds like you care. :)))
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM
bump
Raven47
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM
5 moms liked this

Please have this child evaluated by a professional. Do not assume that his delays are due to a lack of parental attention.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I know there is nothing mentally wrong with him, he has a very creative imagination, he can sit and play games on the playstation or wii for hours, his attention span is good, he was just never taught anything. Instead of having him watch shows like dora or diego or bubble guppies or shows like that he was always sat down in front of spongebob, his parents never worked with him at all. so now that he has to learn its frustrating to him. 

Quoting Raven47:

Please have this child evaluated by a professional. Do not assume that his delays are due to a lack of parental attention.

Neko_Nightstar
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this

So anyone that doesn't do exactly as you do shouldn't have children? Hmm...interesting. Not everyone knows how to educate. That is what school is for. If every parent knew how to teach their children, there would be no use for schools. Trust me. It doesn't help your child to start school knowing everything. I started kindergarten on a very high reading level. My kindergarten teacher loved that I was advanced. My 1st grade teacher made my life hell for it. I was bored out of my mind because "Just because you think you are smarter than the rest of the class doesn't mean you are special" so I spent most of 1st grade listening to the same lessons that I had already learned. Yes, my kids will start school knowing how to read but I am studying to be a teacher so I know how to teach. Most teachers prefer their students to start at the same level.

TB78
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Dragon Mom is that you?!!

Seriously though you do sound like those moms from China who push their kids to do everything perfect and if they don't then they immediately get punished for it. Btw where is the Mom aka your Hubby's Ex to help Her Son with his education or are you This Boy's Mom and have just Thrown him under the Bus because he was frustrated trying to learn the basics or actually more than the basics according to what you have taught the other Two.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN