Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why did you get an epidural?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 441 Replies
3 moms liked this

I'm not trying to debate. I am honestly curious why you got one.

Were you afraid of the pain or did you just not want to feel it? I do not understand the appeal of an epidural. I would rather feel what my body is doing and trust it. Most women know that an epidural can increase their risk for other interventions, so why get one? What pros outweighed the cons of the epidural for you?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I got one with my first because I had been on pitocin for hours and I couldn't handle the pain anymore. I didn't get one with my second and I'm not planning on getting one with my third. I almost got it with my second and I'm pretty certain that's because they were giving me pitocin against my wishes. I was told it was just fluids to prevent dehydration.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Because I was in pain and it was hindering my labor.  I had a child naturally, one by c-section, and one with epidural.  I got it because I wasn't handling the pain well..pure and simple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Quoting polkaspots: I got one with my first because I had been on pitocin for hours and I couldn't handle the pain anymore. I didn't get one with my second and I'm not planning on getting one with my third. I almost got it with my second and I'm pretty certain that's because they were giving me pitocin against my wishes. I was told it was just fluids to prevent dehydration.

I assume since you have had both you prefered your natural birth? I have only had a natural birth and can't imagine doing it any other way. Can they actually give you pitocin against your wishes? That is horrible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Fair enough. Did you prefer the epidural or your natural birth, aside from the differences in pain levels?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because I was in pain and it was hindering my labor.  I had a child naturally, one by c-section, and one with epidural.  I got it because I wasn't handling the pain well..pure and simple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM
8 moms liked this
The pain was unbearable. Why be in pain if you don't have to I say. Induced with my first. Pains were unreal.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I haven't had an all natural birth yet because I had pitocin twice. They can't legally lie to a patient about what they're injecting them with but they did. After ds (my second) came out and after they finished scraping placenta out of my insides (a whole different story, I did get a shot of pain killer for that, but ds was already out of me) I got up and was pacing because they required me to stay there until wheelchair guy came and DH had left with the baby and I read my chart and it said I had been on pitocin for a few hours at that point. I was very upset. I had told them I didn't want any and I had initially refused the IV but they said it was just fluids for dehydration. Since I hadn't been eating or drinking much water at all I allowed it. I asked about it later and was told that I was given the pitocin from the get go, so the person who did my IV lied to me about it while she was doing it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting polkaspots: I got one with my first because I had been on pitocin for hours and I couldn't handle the pain anymore. I didn't get one with my second and I'm not planning on getting one with my third. I almost got it with my second and I'm pretty certain that's because they were giving me pitocin against my wishes. I was told it was just fluids to prevent dehydration.

I assume since you have had both you prefered your natural birth? I have only had a natural birth and can't imagine doing it any other way. Can they actually give you pitocin against your wishes? That is horrible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I must have misread your first post and I am so sorry you had that experience! 

Quoting polkaspots: I haven't had an all natural birth yet because I had pitocin twice. They can't legally lie to a patient about what they're injecting them with but they did. After ds (my second) came out and after they finished scraping placenta out of my insides (a whole different story, I did get a shot of pain killer for that, but ds was already out of me) I got up and was pacing because they required me to stay there until wheelchair guy came and DH had left with the baby and I read my chart and it said I had been on pitocin for a few hours at that point. I was very upset. I had told them I didn't want any and I had initially refused the IV but they said it was just fluids for dehydration. Since I hadn't been eating or drinking much water at all I allowed it. I asked about it later and was told that I was given the pitocin from the get go, so the person who did my IV lied to me about it while she was doing it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM
after 30 hours of hard labor ( no sleep, little food) after my water had broken it was either agree to the epidural and pitocin or an immediate c-section because they were very concerned I wasn't progressing enough
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM
12 moms liked this
No cons. Epidurals were wonderful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

my epidural birth was the easiest labor and birth of all three. I'd do natural over c-section tho. C-sections suck

Quoting Anonymous:

Fair enough. Did you prefer the epidural or your natural birth, aside from the differences in pain levels?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)