Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Freemasonry Feelings Update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

I'm really not sure how I feel about them. I know a lot of the founding fathers were freemasons and that's great. But my dh father was a shriner and dh is working on whatever degree now. I thought he had stopped all that stuff, and kind of upset he didn't, but he knows my feelings so I'm sure he just wanted to keep the peace in the family. One of their opening prayers, rites, or whatever they call it is when they look toward their leader with "Oh, Most Worshipful Master." (I'm not even "allowed" to know that much) I have a major problem with that as I believe it is worshipping a false God and for that reason feel it is pagan. All my husband says in reply to that is "actually not." I understand there's all this secret stuff and he can't tell me anything, but I'm really afraid my husband is beginning to practice a pagan religion. His mother was Eastern Star and will not talk to me about any of that either. Even though I did ask, as I was instructed, because it had to be done a specific way,  about joining. I was all but ignored, and I feel she did this simply out of spite, to feel superior to me. However, that was a long time ago when my feelings about all this weren't clear, and I do not feel it affects the way I feel about it today.  I am glad she did not "accept me" I have been to funeral services that have been very nice, but rushed in order to allow the masons to come in and do whatever pagan rite they perform graveside. I have told my husband straight out I will not have that b.s. at his funeral, and if they try it I will stop it immediately, not caring who I upset. I apologize if my lack of ignorance shows, I'm sure it does, but I really don't know what to do. I know hubby will continue doing it anyway and I guess that's what upsets me the most. I also apologize if I have offended anyone. Yes, I know they do good work.

UPDATE: Question, Does anyone know what the church thinks of this? Technically we are Episcopalian.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeatherMarieT88
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Bump
merryvoice
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this
My Husband is a Free Mason. There is nothing Pagan about it. There is no worshipping of false idols, either. You have to believe ina Higher Power to be a Free Mason. You can, if you wished, find out anything you want about it. There are many books on the subject. I don't, however, out of respect to the Fraternity and Brotherhood. But it is out there, if you need it to feel more comfortable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Can you recommend any books? Ones I've found all just seem to vent the authors personal opinions one way or the other, or they go into the history and that's not what I really want.

Quoting merryvoice: My Husband is a Free Mason. There is nothing Pagan about it. There is no worshipping of false idols, either. You have to believe ina Higher Power to be a Free Mason. You can, if you wished, find out anything you want about it. There are many books on the subject. I don't, however, out of respect to the Fraternity and Brotherhood. But it is out there, if you need it to feel more comfortable.

ChewyBrownies
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:59 AM
2 moms liked this

The things I've read and watched about it aren't good. Doesn't seem like something I would wasn't to associate myself with.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Yep, I have uneasy feelings about it, but realize I need to honestly educate myself more first, which is very difficult to do when it's so closed.

Quoting ChewyBrownies:

The things I've read and watched about it aren't good. Doesn't seem like something I would wasn't to associate myself with.

ChewyBrownies
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM
YouTube.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep, I have uneasy feelings about it, but realize I need to honestly educate myself more first, which is very difficult to do when it's so closed.

Quoting ChewyBrownies:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I've seen those videos and they don't paint a good picture.

Quoting ChewyBrownies: YouTube.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ChewyBrownies:

ChewyBrownies
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Well, momma. There has to be some truth to it. It's scary to think things like that are real

Quoting Anonymous:

I've seen those videos and they don't paint a good picture.

Quoting ChewyBrownies: YouTube.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ChewyBrownies:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
It is a religious group. I was in Job's daughters. We used the bible and we were a Christian group. Nothing Pagan about it at all. It was all based on the book of Job.
My Dad was a Mason. My brother was in Demolay.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
You're afraid for nothing. I think you're afraid of the unknown...what you dont know. It's a very safe fraternity. Believe me, if it were pagan in any way, my husband, father in law, grandfather, step father would not be involved.
I am not an Eastern Star, but the men and wives here are a very tight community. If I had any big concerns or issues in my life, I would contact them knowing I'd be taken care of.
I am a Widows Sons Lady and ride with them quite often.
The secrecy is borne of the tradition.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)