Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone did online dating?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:38 PM
  • 45 Replies

Has anyone had met their spouse, fiance', or significant other online? How did it go? was it good compared to traditional dating? I've read several online posts stating that people whom met others online have successful marriages compared to offline. Just wanted to hear the  any successful stories...thanks

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I met my husband in February 2003 through an online dating site. We've been married a little over 9 years and have 2 children. I don't know if I would have met him without the I internet. :)
AnewMom225
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Awww that's awesome!!! I met this guy online he lives 2 hrs away from me, and at first I wasn't looking for a man & he IM me and we been chatting... :-) Kuddos to 9yrs of bliss

Quoting toopicky429: I met my husband in February 2003 through an online dating site. We've been married a little over 9 years and have 2 children. I don't know if I would have met him without the I internet. :)

Momofmenagerie
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Met my husband online. We've been married five years. There are as many snakes on the net as in a coffee shop.

I was particular about staying within my location, and we met after two months only of email. In email, men and women can " edit" their true personality, I didn't believe in wasting my time so none of this six months nonsense and no long distance things ( they end up asking for money )

My husband is a dream and I'm glad I waited for him to show up in my life :-)
AnewMom225
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Yeah you're right about be cautious of people out here, and thanks for sharing your story.

Quoting Momofmenagerie: Met my husband online. We've been married five years. There are as many snakes on the net as in a coffee shop.

I was particular about staying within my location, and we met after two months only of email. In email, men and women can " edit" their true personality, I didn't believe in wasting my time so none of this six months nonsense and no long distance things ( they end up asking for money )

Momofmenagerie
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:59 AM
I've always looked at it this way. Where you meet someone is usually where they spend a lot of their time. Go to a bar ( lil different from a sports bar ) but Probably will meet an alcoholic, a club... He won't be home with you most likely, a gym.... Is he too built? If so, then he's probably more into himself and, again won't be home. Church? Maybe a decent man, maybe there to meet women, that's an iffy. On an online game? He probably lives there.

Obviously this changes a bit if you enjoy these things together.

A dating site? Well, he 's looking to DATE and hopefully more.

It worked great for me, but I still had to meet some toads before my shy guy said " hi" :-)
Shyness in my book was a huge plus. No pressure and I had to let HIM know which and what physical affection I was comfortable with.

Good luck if you try it! ( stay away from Plenty of Fish!)

Quoting AnewMom225:

Yeah you're right about be cautious of people out here, and thanks for sharing your story.

Quoting Momofmenagerie: Met my husband online. We've been married five years. There are as many snakes on the net as in a coffee shop.

ProudMeof2
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I met my husband online when he lived in FL and I lived in CO. I never expected anything to come out of it cuz we were like long distance friends. Something scary happened to me in CO and since my mom wuz relocating to FL, she moved me out here first. When I moved to Tampa, I was less then 2 hours from DH. We kept talking as friends and I always had 2 hear about him and his gf at the time. One day I noticed that I had feelings stronger then a friendship for him and decided I could not talk to him anymore cuz it wuz hurting to hear about him and his gf. Needless to say, like 3 months after I stopped talking 2 him he contacted me on a different website and the friendship picked back up. We always talked about meeting in person, but I told him as long as he had a gf I would not meet him. He ended up breaking up with his girlfriend and eventually came to Tampa 2 c me and we have been inseparable since. The funny thing is he always said he didn't want to get married or have kids and now we have been married 6 years and have 2 kids and he tells me all the time thank you for changing his mind. Sorry this is long, I tried to shorten it up to the main points.

CafeMom Tickers

munky.wench
by New Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I met my husband on Plenty of Fish. We talked online as just friends almost a year before we actually met, so by the time our first date came around it was more like meeting up with an old friend, and it was awesome. It didn't have the awkwardness of a traditional first date. The funny thing is that he lived a half mile from me, but while I don't live in a giant city, my city is big enough that we had never seen each other and possibly never would have. Especially since neither one of us is into the bar scene, though we did end up having quite a few mutual friends. 

We used the time online to be brutally honest about our opinions, humor and quirks, by the time we met we knew that we were the exact same kinda crazy in the end even though we have different personalities. ;)

Don't get me wrong, 99% of the guys out there are creeps, but they are pretty obvious about it.

withsecond
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I didn't but I have heard a lot of success stories.
Stephd710
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I online dated for 3 years.  I met tons of jerks, liars, cheaters, married guys, etc.  It was so bad.  I decided to delete my account but i got a message the day i logged on to do it.  My friend convinced me to give the guy a shot and if it didn't work out, then go ahead and delete it.  Well...it worked out.  We have been together for 5 months and everything is just peachy so far!  We both deleted our online accounts :)  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Met him on a Thursday online, first date next Saturday, basically moved in by Thursday and we have been married for almost 8 years, have one child and are extremely happy, he is my best friend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)