Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How to convince my MIL?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

My dh works in the family business, his normal salary is not that great but his parents give us a lot of things on the side so that makes a good salary.

Right now my ILs pay for my our child private preschool but are very emphatic that they will not pay for private school because public schools are good and we pay taxes for that.

I know that public schools now focus mostly on the standardized tests than in really teaching kids and leave like 3 hours of homework every day to keep up.

My mil used to be a teacher, we are talking more than 30 years ago and she really believes in the public system also her kids haven't been in the school system in forever. I don't, I believe that if you can afford private education (obviously a good school, there are bad private schools too) it is worth it.

Financially our hands are tight.

How can we show my  mil and fil  they are wrong so they would pay for private?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BoopBettyBoop
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My kids have had maybe 1-2 hours of homework and that is only when they don't finish it in school.

Have you thought about a public charter school or maybe online public school?

There are very good public schools out there, you just have to be picky as you would be in choosing a private school.

I know this post probably wasn't what you were looking for, but felt that I needed to say that there are good public school choices out there as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Thx for the tip

The public school we are going to go is rated A, is one of hte best schools in the state, but still, 3 hour homework a day and you have to supplement aditional classes like art and some kinnd of excersise because they don't even have recess every day

Quoting BoopBettyBoop:

My kids have had maybe 1-2 hours of homework and that is only when they don't finish it in school.

Have you thought about a public charter school or maybe online public school?

There are very good public schools out there, you just have to be picky as you would be in choosing a private school.

I know this post probably wasn't what you were looking for, but felt that I needed to say that there are good public school choices out there as well.

BoopBettyBoop
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!  What kind of a public school is that?  3 hours of homework is almost unheard of, and no recess?  Something doesn't sound right to me.  I have had kids in public school for over 12 years and never heard of a public school without a recess!

Honeygator
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I don't know what state you're in, but in Oklahoma we have free online public school and a free onlinevirtual charteracademy. Home schooling is really popular in TX where the public education system really sucks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM
They have Recesses but not every day.

I can't do homeschooling in any form, don't like it and we both work
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Our public schools are awesome. I would not ever do private here. In another state we did private. Schools sucked.
isaacsmommy68
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My sons public school is rated A also. Has never had that much homework. Maybe 20 minutes a night if that, he just needs to read 30 minutes a night. We went to private school for 3 years. My child was soooo far behind when he got to public. It took him a year to catch up.

Quoting BoopBettyBoop:

Wow!  What kind of a public school is that?  3 hours of homework is almost unheard of, and no recess?  Something doesn't sound right to me.  I have had kids in public school for over 12 years and never heard of a public school without a recess!

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Are you just assuming that they will get 3 hours of homework everyday?  Also, I don't see how they are getting away with not giving the kids recess every day.  I thought that by law, they are mandated to give them a break?

If worse comes to worse, you can start off your child at the public school and see how that goes and show your in-laws the progress and the deficiencies if they are there to convince them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't know why it is your IL's place to educate your children.  You had them, you educate them.  In our area there are neighbors that work additional jobs to put their kids in private schools.  Others are okay with public school with great accrediations.  Do your research and decide.  Maybe DH would be better served getting another job.  It sounds like they are taking advantage of him yet wanting all the credit for assisting you with taking care of your kid(s).  What else do they help you out with?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM
My DH has been working with them since he was a teen and went to college to study seething related to the business because he will take over when they retire.

He can't get another job because of health issues.

I recently open a business and it will take few years before we can see a penny out of it, in the meantime all our money is going to the business.

The problem is my ILs don't give us the money for what we want to use it but for what they want us youse it.

They are great, don't get be wrong and I live them but the school thing is the one that us getting to me.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know why it is your IL's place to educate your children.  You had them, you educate them.  In our area there are neighbors that work additional jobs to put their kids in private schools.  Others are okay with public school with great accrediations.  Do your research and decide.  Maybe DH would be better served getting another job.  It sounds like they are taking advantage of him yet wanting all the credit for assisting you with taking care of your kid(s).  What else do they help you out with?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)