Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you want your life to be?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 5 Replies

Yes, I do understand that this question is probably not going to be easy to answer. But, I figured it was worth a shot. So here it goes...

I am 20, a mom of a two and a half year old, and newly married. Now that I am almost 21, I feel like it is time to assess my life and what I want it to be. I am a junior in college, which I am very proud to say because I refuse to be a statistic. I got pregnant at 17, and walked across the stage with my son in my belly. I only took one semester off of school, and I have been working since I was pregnant. But now that I'm seeing a lot of my friends graduate college, and have a real passion, I am super jealous. Jealous for two reasons, I am dying to be done with school, but I majorly want to have a passion. I want to have something that I can't imagine ever quitting.

I am currently working two different jobs on top of being a full time student, AND a full time mommy. One of my jobs is at my dad's funeral home, where I work as a secretary. He is always offering to put me on salary, give me full time. Which is veryyyy tempting. But I hate working there, and I have no urge to be there for the rest of my life. So I know that is out the window for fulfilling my passion in life. I love children, but less so after having my own and realizing how perfect he is, (JK, sorta). I am currently majoring in early childhood development, and I really enjoy the classes that I am taking. My advisor told me that I should stay in classes that I enjoy, and am doing well in. But lately, like most 20 year olds, I am having major second thoughts about my career path. For some reason, I just started considering a wedding planner, or something to do with cosmetics. I have NO clue why cosmetics, or what I would even do in that field. 

I'm really just looking for something that I can go to work every morning and not hate my life. I just see my life as way much more than this. Does anyone else feel that way? I'm not looking for someone to tell me what to do, just looking for some friendly advice to finding a passion in life. 

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I never really had that problem.  I knew that I enjoyed secretarial work and that was the type of work I got fresh out of high school; it's what I also did until I quit to be a SAHM a few months before my first son was born.  I've been a SAHM/W the majority of my adult life, during both marriages.  I did work between marriages and a little on & off during the first and also during my 2nd/current marriage.  But, for the most part I've been very lucky to be able to stay home & raise my family.  It was what I wanted, and luckily both husbands were just fine with that.  When I did work, I was also lucky enough to find work doing the type of work I enjoyed, and I made good money at it also.  Now however, I'm at the age of retirement and have no intention of ever going back to work; it's been a good 10 years since I've had a full-time job & that only lasted a short time, to put our dd through a few years of a private Christian school.  Dh is looking to retire himself next April, May at the latest, and we are really looking forward to enjoying a lot of years to come together. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Since I am over 50 already life has sometimes been as I expected and in other ways very different.
I knew I didn't want kids till 30. Had my oldest a month after I turned 30.
Married at 23. Moved around 9 times. Never anticipated that. Good and bad moving around. Have been a Sahm for over 20 years. Thought I would have to work most of my life and that has not been the case.
I was a medical assistant for 9 years. I loved it. After marrying I went to school. Had to figure out something I could find jobs fast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrightKisses
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM
When I was 20 I was convinced I was going to be nurse. I ended up getting my AAMA certification to be a Medical Assistant and once I started working in the medical field I hated it. I'm 24 and I got fired a couple months ago so I had to move back in with my parents. I'm currently back in school now for early childhood education and I'm so excited (I always wanted to be a teacher, but chose nursing because apparently there was a high demand). A lot can change in a few years especially when we're young. I say keep going in what your doing now and then along the way you might find something you like a lot more. I hope that helps. :)
jesusgirl76
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like you've done very well and being so young I'd say you're doing great. With your enthusiasm you will have whatever life you want :)
Droyal14u
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:30 AM

I'm nearly 50 now...have been a Marine, Wife, Mom, Medical Assistant, Phlebotomist, Staff Accountant, and all I ever wanted was to be happily married. Two divorces later, I'm still not there yet. I now know what I don't want and that's a great start. 'Cause looking back, I put up with way too much sh*t! I'd never do it again. If the next man can't love me the way I am without me changing a thing, then he can walk on by! Yeah, just wanna be happily in  Love....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)