Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do YOU Say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas"?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 38 Replies

Woman Assaults Salvation Army Volunteer Who Didn't Wish Her 'Merry Christmas'

by Rebecca Stokes

xmasThe holidays are the perfect time of year to give back. You'll very often find folks you know volunteering during this festive yuletide in a bid to give back to their community and demonstrate compassion and sensitivity. One popular mode of volunteering is working as a bell-ringer for the Salvation Army.

The Christian organization stations folks with those famous red buckets and infamous bells on busy street corners and in front of store fronts where they ask for donations. One volunteer, Kristina Vindiola, was doing just that when something happened that took her completely by surprise.

The Salvation Army's protocol dictates that its volunteers say either "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" while accepting donations on their behalf. Vindiola was doing just that, choosing to say "Happy Holidays" when one woman confronted her. The woman in question demanded to know if Vindiola was a Christian and proceeded to tell her that she should be saying "Merry Christmas." Then, before leaving (without making a donation), she punched Vindiola in the arm.

If that woman was hoping to spread the good news about Christians being tolerant, loving, and accepting, she messed up riiiiiight around the place where she PUNCHED A VOLUNTEER FOR A CHRISTIAN ORGANIZATION. The last thing a volunteer should have to worry about during the holidays is being attacked -- let alone by someone who alleges that they follow Christian teachings.

The police were called to the scene, but no arrests were made. I think they should have hauled that punchy-Grinch away for the entire Christmas season. If your glad tidings of great joy include punching someone who is genuinely doing good -- then you deserve it!

Do you say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas"?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texascandee
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I say Merry Christmas all the time........forget happy holidays

Kitty_Myrick
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM

wreath

smorgan865
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Usually Merry Christmas.
sburger315
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Always Merry Christmas. If the person I say it to doesn't believe in what I do or doesn't want to say it back they aren't obligated too. I don't get offended if I don't get a reply or if they say Happy Holiday's. 

Luke 3/15/11    Maddie 4/29/12    Identical Twin Girls Due 5/29/14

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Merry Christmas.  Our bell ringer at the grocery says Merry Christmas. 

massenburg
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Merry christmas sometimes Happy Holidays

ToriBabe1221
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Happy Holidays
Brehi
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Merry Christmas

1frog
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I say "Happy Thanksgiving" first. I think people tend to rush that holiday to much and get the Christmas rush on. Then I begin my "Merry Christmas's." I am Christian, and this is what I believe so I see nothing wrong with it. After Christmas I begin with Happy New Year."  I don't care if someone else replies Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanza, whatever, as long as it's a sincere appreciation of how they want to celebrate and are not forcing something on me by being sarcastic, etc.

duets
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Merry Christmas

wreath

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN