Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Super Moms, Stop Feeling Guilty! You Can't Be Good at Everything

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 3 Replies

Super Moms, Stop Feeling Guilty! You Can't Be Good at Everything

by Kristen Chase 

Super Moms, Stop Feeling GuiltyI'm not sure about you, but Pinterest overwhelms me. Between that and design blogs (which I really love, by the way), I end up feeling like a slacker on a regular basis.

As much as I try to look away, it's nearly impossible when you work on the Internet and actually need to visit these sites as part of your job.

I'm finding that there's a fine line between admiring what I'm seeing and feeling some sort of obligation to try everything. And then the guilt starts to seep in.

Well, you what? No more.

I suppose I could just stop reading and looking at all the pretty Pinterest pins and posts from some of my favorite people. And to be honest, I did for awhile.

I realize that's my own deficiency and has nothing to do with anyone else. And really, it's not like I look at the Mona Lisa and feel like an awful artist.

But what these sites have done, which by the way, is very cool, is that they've made everything so much more accessible. You see the bloggers and pinners as real people, like me (and you), and suddenly you start thinking "Well, if they can do it, then I can do it."

However, for many people that can spiral into "I should be doing it" and then, if  you're like me, and you'll be felling like your sparsely decorated home isn't enough. That the not-so-stylish curtains and not-so-well coordinated photo wall collages are a little pathetic.

Okay, a lot.

But I've worked very hard on not being swayed by the awesome of other people. Basically, I can happily admire the abilities of others, and still feel okay with my own. 

And yes, we all have abilities. Mine just don't happen to be very pinnable. Or shareable.

I know I'm not alone in feeling a bit overwhelmed with the constant input of perfection and beauty that people are seeing all over the web. In fact, I hear a lot of push back about it, at least in my Facebook feed.

Thing is, it's not about sites or bloggers. It's about me.

And once I understood that and realized that my decorations, my non-recipes, they're all okay. In fact, they're more than okay because they work for me. And they make me (and my kids) happy.

That's all that matters.

How do you juggle it all?

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
amber3902
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

It doesn't bother me.  I remember one SAHM telling me how she spends FIVE hours a day making home made speghetti sauce and pasta from scratch. 

As I read over all the things she did for just one meal, I realized that I don't like cooking THAT much. 

cherk-nj
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Well, I am happy not to be the only one overwhelmed. I think I have the opposite probem. I am what my neighbors 12 year old daughter smilingly referred to as "the crazy lady next door",lol. This is because I actually invited those kids over to bake Christmas cookies with us last year. Their Mom was busy rushing breezily out the door with her Coach bag, Smart phone in hand simultaneously texting and talking, and leaving them with the nanny. I do all the corny craft things, like go out in the yard looking for pine cones so my son and I can make a wreath. So the neighborhood women think I am like a socially retarded person. They pity me. I haven't seen all the cool new sites, and I actually DID NOT wait on line all day on Thanksgiving to get the PlayStation4. I actually cooked a turkey...Shhh.. Don't let it get out. My problem is that I think women are so busy blogging, vlogging, texting, bluetoothing, that the only contact they seem to have with their children is dragging them from one appt to another like the Coach purse.

Any advice for me,:) BTW I'm completely beyond hope,lol. I just cannot bring myself to care what version my phone is..

Honeygator
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I was a lot like you cherk, but still, this topic is way overdone, it's a relic left over from the failed ERA movement. It may have relevance especially today, but I would have come at with a much less victimology and a much more values-oriented point of view.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)