Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What's a Nice Way to Say Thank you but Please No Gifts?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM
  • 8 Replies

When I was a single mother, I lived in an apartment complex.  My daughters and I became very good friends with this young couple that lived across the hallway from us.

I recently have moved into a house with my BF.  My BF pays all the household bills, so I am in a much better financial situation now.  My friends still live in their apartment and just had a baby.

Last year they got my daughter's xmas gifts.  I just went by today to visit the wife and she asked me what I had gotten my girls for xmas.  I told her and then realized she might have been looking for ideas to get for my girls, but before I could say anything she changed the subject.

I know they just had a baby and while they're not broke, it sounds like they're trying to be conservative on gifts this year.  She said they're not getting anything for the baby, since she's only five months old and doesn't need anything.  She also said her and husband limited their gifts to each other at $20.  So it sounds like they're trying to control their spending. 

I was just going to send her an email saying they don't need to get the girls any gifts.  What is a nice way to say thanks, but please don't buy any gifts for my girls this year?  There's no need for them to spend money on gifts when my girls are getting so much already.

And I want to get something for their baby, but I'm sure their family is already getting her tons of stuff, so I was thinking of giving money, something that could maybe go towards a college fund, but I'm not sure how to do that. 

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Stephd710
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Get them a Visa gift card as a gift, then they can use it wherever they want.  

amber3902
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Perfect!!  Thanks.

Quoting Stephd710:

Get them a Visa gift card as a gift, then they can use it wherever they want.  

srehman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Well, if you really don't want them to. Then just say politely...we were talking and it sounded to me like you guys are really saving so if it's better for you don't worry about Xmas for us this year .
But would it be alright if I got baby something?
That way it's open and then they aren't bombarded for not giving a gift and feeling obligated or awkward later.
Hope this makes sense!
diaperstodating
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Bump
lazyd
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM

people can ALWAYS use diapers and wipes, especially!  Just say that allowing your girls to come over and visit & play w/the baby is all the "gift" that you guys need.  

withsecond
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Well, I'm sure you could just say no gifts but if they want to get them, they will always. Lol

My in laws gave us a jar that said college fund on it with a check inside. I thought it was adorable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM
She may have just been asking to start a conversation. Don't assume she was going to buy you anything.
amber3902
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Perfect, thanks!

Quoting srehman: Well, if you really don't want them to. Then just say politely...we were talking and it sounded to me like you guys are really saving so if it's better for you don't worry about Xmas for us this year .
But would it be alright if I got baby something?
That way it's open and then they aren't bombarded for not giving a gift and feeling obligated or awkward later.
Hope this makes sense!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)