Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think parents should follow the same rules they give their children?

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 17 Replies

7 Things Parents Forbid Their Teens to Do, But Still Do Themselves

by Ericka Sóuter

NO

It’s easy for parents to come up with a list of forbidden behaviors for our kids. After all, it’s our job to keep them safe and healthy as long as they are under our roof. Though, a new anti-smoking ad drives home one, very scary fact: parents are total hypocrites. We tell our kids they can’t do this or that, all the while engaging in the behaviors ourselves. And it’s not just smoking. It begs the question, why should they listen to us when we can’t follow the rules we insist they adhere to? Take a look at the bad habits we don’t want our kids to do, but still give into ourselves.

1. Smoking. The hazards are clear. The habit can lead to lung cancer, emphysema and other medical issues. People are horrified at the thought of a little kid lighting up. They will preach about all the evils of smoking, even while puffing away on a cigarette themselves. Take a look.

2. Getting drunk for fun. Who doesn't look forward to a wild girls night once in awhile? But if your teenage daughter wants to do it, you would go berserk.

3. Smoking pot. For obvious reasons, no parent would encourage this one. It’s illegal. Still, there are moms and dads who toke up in the basement or after the bedtime thinking their kids have no idea what they are up to. News flash: they do.

4. Sex with someone they barely know. Now granted, if you are in a committed relationship or marriage, hopefully this isn’t one you indulge in. However, there are plenty of single parents out there who feel like their sex life is their business and if they want to have casual sex occasionally, so be it.

5. Binge on fast food or sweets when you are down. I’ve had plenty of pizza and ice cream nights. Eating your feelings are never a good idea, no matter your age. I would hate for my child to mimic this coping mechanism.

6. Curse. In a perfect world, as soon as our little angels are born our inclination to yell sh*t and other four-letter words would disappear. Some would say having kids (and all the aggravation that comes with it) has made them even more likely to curse. But no way do we allow them to do it.

7. Lie. We tell them how wrong lying is almost from the moment they start speaking. Yet, we do it Every. Single. Day.

Yes, these are definitely double standards but that’s the right of every grown-up, I suppose. One day, when they have kids of there own, they will understand -- at least we can hope they do.

Do you think parents should follow the same rules they give their children?

by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
3 moms liked this
Nope. Adults and children are not on the same level.
Lane-Moja
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Of the items you listed Parents absolutely should follow and lead by example. Others are acceptable for adults; having some alcohol, staying up late, etc...but not for children.
GertieK
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Those are rules we all should follow. There are other rules for kids that just do not apply to adults.
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Yes
PortiaRose
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
There is this weird movement of inflating children, and its fucking bizarre.

Quoting EireLass: Nope. Adults and children are not on the same level.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Children are children. Adults are adults. Different rules. That being said, I don't smoke, or smoke pot. Rarely drink. Never slept with a random nobody, only dh actually. Don't curse much.
Blooming_Lotus
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Absolutely. I hold myself to the same standards as my children.

Edit: Rather, I hold my children to the same standards I hold myself, which are strict.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
It is illegal for kids to smoke and drink. And they shouldn't be sleeping around.
pce68
by New Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I try to practice what I preach, so if it is something I don't want my child to do, I try not to do it myself. That being said, I see nothing wrong with my teen dd occasionally saying a curse word, or saying a little white lie, like lying to protect someone's feelings. I don't do any of the others. I don't drink, smoke, use pot, or sleep around. 

cindilou13
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM

To a point, yes, we should 'lead by example'.  However there are also differences between adults and children, including what we can and can't do...we have both different responsibilities and privileges.

That's said, I don't do any of the first 5.  I drink alcohol occasionally and in moderation.  We eat less healthy foods in moderation and not as a reaction or comfort.. Otherwise, 1-5 aren't even anywhere on the map for me (or DH for that matter).  

I curse, and I don't care if the kids curse lightly & occasionally, at home.  They know when it is not acceptable and don't do it to excess. I think because it's not a big deal in our house it's not as fun for them to do it, so they don't even do it that often.

I don't lie "every single day", but I certainly do sometimes.  I don't think small lies in order to spare feelings or not create difficulties when 100% honesty isn't crucial are the end of the world.  Same goes for them, we've discussed the differences and appropriateness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)