Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you pierce baby's ears?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Will you pierce your little one's ears?

Options:

Of course

No way!

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 70

View Results

Will you pierce your little one's ears? At what age would you do so?

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Replies (41-50):
kitty8199
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Not my body
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supermom21girl
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM
I don't want to inflict that pain for something she might not want. I also want to say yes with ease when she asks for it because other piercings and tattoos will be NO!
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Our dd was 2 months old when we pierced her ears; she did great.

cindilou13
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I don't think an infant's ears should be pierced.  I think they should be old enough to understand it's something permament and want them personally.  We pierced DD's at 5 1/2 after she asked and we discussed it and were sure she understand she'd have to take care of them (we planned to help and do), and that it was permanent.  She LOVES them...sometimes she picks her earrings first and then picks an outfit that matches lol.

MelanieJK
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM

No.    When she's maybe 13 or 14 she can have them pierced if she so chooses.   I don't get the rush to have them act/look like grownups.    She can play at it but not with anything permanent.

Maries_Mom23
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM

No we didn't.  We have 2 girls, ages 10 and 6.  When we found out the oldest was a girl, we agreed that they are not our ears and will not be pierced until she asks to have them pierced.  Our oldest asked when she was 4 1/2.  We took her the next day.  Our youngest will be 7 in March and has yet to ask!  She'll mention here and there (she actually hasn't mentioned it in months) and I just tell her "when you're ready, let us know and we'll take you." 

ajdahd13
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I got dd1's ears done when she was 2.5 (against my better judgement) and they got so infected. Unfortunately DD inherited my issues with earrings, so I won't even try with dd2. 

EvilQueenMommy
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

And make up 

Quoting alc4evermom:

No.  I think nail polish on babies is super tacky too.  

CafeMom Tickers

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."- Evelyn Beatrice Hall

EvilQueenMommy
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

If my son wants to when he's around 12, I will let him. But, his ears, his choice.

Tal0n
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope.  I opted to wait until she asked...then she had to wait until I found a piercing parlor who would do it!  She asked when she was 9, she got them done this past November at 13.  And she now understands REALLY why I wouldn't let her ears get pierced by a gun at the mall by someone who had watched an hour long video.

And she has a piercer she can trust to do any other piercings she might want as she gets older and what she should expect when being pierced, warning signs of a bad piercing parlor or piercer and quite alot of general knowledge about piercing.  Plus the piercer has a 5 year old daughter and he wants to pierce her ears so badly because it's traditional in his people (He's Hawaiian) but his wife won't let him until the daughter decides, and he agrees that she's right and told Chibi to "Listen to your Mom...she's doing it right."  Which was very awesome.

We had a much better experience getting her lobes done in a piercing and tattoo parlor than we could have possibly hoped for, and I scorn forever mall piercers and not just because they use piercing guns that were designed for LIVESTOCK. (which was one of the reasons I made Chibi wait...I've worked on farms and have used those guns!!  And when they stick?  IT SUCKS!!)  Also I wanted her to be pierced by someone who loves what they do and who makes themselves available if something goes wrong.

I would never pierce a baby...even our native Hawaiian agreed that while it's cultural and traditional for him, piercing as babies can cause big problems later on, even when it's done correctly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN