Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My 3yo snuck out of the house!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 254 Replies

I have the flu and my husband works 14hr days so I was really, really tired and the meds I'm on were really kicking my ass. I put my 3yo down for his nap in his crib, closed his door, and sat on the couch to watch a talk show. The next thing I knew, someone was banging on my door. It turned out to be my neighbor who had seen  my son in the side yard between our two houses playing on his ride-on toy without me being around.

I'm still not sure how he got out of his crib, opened his door, got over the baby gate on the stairs, and opened the side door to go outside without my hearing him, but I'm so glad the neighbor found him! Now I've got plans to go to the store today to buy better locks for the house doors so he can't get out of the house again, and I'm not taking my meds today so I won't fall asleep like that again.

Has your child ever snuck out of the house before? What happened? What would you do if yours did sneak out like this?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
No never I would have closed the door too so he would hafta open the door my cousin has a baby gate even us adults that don't go over her house alot have trouble opening get deadbolt s for the doors leading outside and lock them when your home
NeonGirl9583
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM
37 moms liked this
My kids would not get far. We live in the woods and they are scared Bigfoot would get them.
mom2acutiepie
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM
4 moms liked this
No my kids never snuck out of the house. When they got to the age of opening doors I put slide locks on the top of all the doors going outside and I keep them locked at all times so they can't sneak out.
Paigesmommy78
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:38 AM
My DD had a nightmare and sleepwalked out the front door and sat on the step and cried I almost had a heart attack it was cold and she only had a t-shirt and pull up on I just got her and put her back in bed go figure the one night I for get to put the child proof thing on the doorknob it hasn't happened again and never forget to put the thing on now
PlaysAllDay
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:52 AM
12 moms liked this
My 3yo has snuck out more times than I can count. We have door alarms so I know when she does it. She thinks it's a game. I swear she has a sensor that let's her know Someone unlocked the top locks. She runs to the side yard to play. If I turn my back bam she's gone. Her favorite is opening the garage door. Two days ago I went to the bathroom and my oldest DD let her friend in and forgot to lock the top lock. I came out of the bathroom to find that my 3yo had stripped down and was playing naked in the snow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM
My sn son did once.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:00 AM
No, mind didn't.
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Oh no

Quoting PlaysAllDay: My 3yo has snuck out more times than I can count. We have door alarms so I know when she does it. She thinks it's a game. I swear she has a sensor that let's her know Someone unlocked the top locks. She runs to the side yard to play. If I turn my back bam she's gone. Her favorite is opening the garage door. Two days ago I went to the bathroom and my oldest DD let her friend in and forgot to lock the top lock. I came out of the bathroom to find that my 3yo had stripped down and was playing naked in the snow.

Stephanie nice to meet you.
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My nephew did this when he was about the same age, in the middle of the night. The police found him in the middle of the street, about 2 blocks away, and took him house to house till a neighbor recognized him and said where he lived. He had taken a chair to get to the lock. That's scary. They had to put another lock, higher up so he couldn't get to it.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Yes, my youngest did once, but they never left the yeard. We realized it pretty quick. It was in the summer when we would have the door open but the screen shut. So we started to lock the screen and she stopped.

I have found three kids that have gotten out of the house before and we helped two of them get home. The third the lady at the yard sale did who was across the street from where we found the girl since we had to leave to take my son to school(we were out at the yard sale before we dropped him off)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN