Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What do you think about child leashes? OK or Not?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 266 Replies

I never liked to use harnesses/leashes for my children but my sister uses one for her 3 year old. He has a hearing impairment so he can't easily hear her when she tells him to stop and has been known to dart out in traffic before so I think they're necessary for him. The problem is that whenever we go anywhere, she gets so many awful looks and comments from people about her treating her son like an animal.

What do you think? Would you use a child harness?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaisinGirl78
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM
3 moms liked this

I couldn't care less about the stares. My lil ones were curious runners & to keep my sanity while in public I used them.

Talisyns
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it's a brilliant idea, especially if you have more than one small child.

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I have children, not dogs. Only reason I could see for them is if you have a SN kid who is 'incapable' of learning how to hold hands and stay close.

Edit: Scratch my "children, not dogs" comment. I do have dogs. Seven of them. And even they can grasp that they should stay by me without leashes.
Stephd710
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I use them.  I have twin toddlers.  Like any toddler, they dont always listen and they get distracted and sometimes try to run off to see stuff....in different directions. 

Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM

theyre not for me. at all.

Stephd710
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh that is a totally understandable comparison....RME.  Because the leash is around the child's neck right?  And they are being jerked around like a dog right? 

Quoting AliKatAK47: I have children, not dogs. Only reason I could see for them is if you have a SN kid who is 'incapable' of learning how to hold hands and stay close.

Edit: Scratch my "children, not dogs" comment. I do have dogs. Seven of them. And even they can grasp that they should stay by me without leashes.

AJsMom81507
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM

my child is not an animal/pet or someone i want to walk around on a leash

but to each their own.

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this
*facepalm*.
Because dog leashes ONLY go around their necks, right?

If your kid runs to the end of the leash. It will cause the same reaction as my dog running to the end of the leash. Same, exact thing.

Quoting Stephd710:

Oh that is a totally understandable comparison....RME.  Because the leash is around the child's neck right?  And they are being jerked around like a dog right? 

Quoting AliKatAK47: I have children, not dogs. Only reason I could see for them is if you have a SN kid who is 'incapable' of learning how to hold hands and stay close.

Stephd710
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh well shit...maybe i should just get a choke chain...then i bet theyd only do it once right?!?

Quoting AliKatAK47: *facepalm*.

If your kid runs to the end of the leash. It will cause the same reaction as my dog running to the end of the leash. Same, exact thing.

Quoting Stephd710:

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Hey, that's your perogative. They already have that.

Quoting Stephd710:

Oh well shit...maybe i should just get a choke chain...then i bet theyd only do it once right?!?

Quoting AliKatAK47: *facepalm*.

Quoting Stephd710:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)